Venison, it's not just just for grilling!

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Oppie, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We ended up with two doe this year so we had one put into burger, double ground with some local Amish smoked bacon. The other doe we had cut into chunks and pieces for the grill an vacuum sealed.

This was the making of a Venison/bacon/sausage meatloaf for my son's birthday, and he didn't even go hunting this year.

_copie-0_P1220713 (2).jpg

What ya'll making with your deer?

2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

That sounds seriously good, Bruce.

bbahunter, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

We made venison Burrito's tonight with ground venison.It had some beef fat added to it. Still have a bunch of breakfast sausage from a different processor I tried.It is great! He vacuum packs everything and is very reasonable. Still have some cube steaks, roasts etc.

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Anything but deer burger , I don,t eat anything with deer fat in it if I can help it. deer fats nasty stuff an don,t like it at all on or in anything.i cut my own chunks of lean deer steak an have it ground in what I call steakburger or just nice lean chunks that we make chip steak out of by shaving slices off when half frozen an thawing alittle.

Oppie, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

We cut our burger meat with pork, and it's delicious! I have done it with a beef & pork mixture, and it was darn tasty too.

Oppie and bbahunter like this.
  6. Stalker

Stalker Member

I like to do about 70% venison 30% beef burger and mix it with Lipton beefy onion soup mix. Make huge patty's and cook them on the grill.I usually top them with cheese and eat them like a steak:D I'm making myself hungry!

Oppie and CT.crossbower like this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I don't like deer fat myself.
    We skinned the two doe, removed the inside loins, took the back straps out, and most of the fat off them, split them down the spine then hung them in the top of the barn for a day to cool down then took them to cut up. One doe was shot in the neck, other one was head shot so we didn't lose any meat, one dressed @ 105, other one was a even 100lbs, and I didn't even get a deer myself!

xcaliber likes this.
  8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Yeah, I gotta agree. Don't know why deer fat is so nasty, but it sure is. It goes in the trash bag when I'm boning out a deer. A local butcher shop makes awesome sausage, so I usually have some of that made, even though it's expensive. Butterfly steaks, chipped steak, some jerky, and the rest hamburger (not mixed). We do the onion soup thing too, Paul. Nice to grill burgers without making the grill flare up.;) Do a lot of tacos, meat sauce, anything you'd mix in hamburger. Now, the wife just had gall bladder surgery and she's harping on a "plant-based diet.":rolleyes: Not sure what that is going to mean for my hunting and fishing, especially with all our sons out of the house.:(

xcaliber likes this.
  9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

When I go for meat I like young deer ,I prefer doe but don,t like to shoot them ,I give all the larger bucks away an don,t eat them at all. butcher shops are not to picky when trimming fat off meat an use to many scraps when making deer burger :confused: same with there deer sticks ,Bologna ,sausages. bad wheel bearing grease waxy after taste from deer fat in them. that,s why I mostly do my own when hanging up with a filet knife as I debone everything.

jacol84 likes this.
  10. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Nothing tastes better than a young doe in terms of venison! Totally agree Frank.

11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Most years we cut up our own deer but just to much going on this year. Having the deer skinned split in half & chilled is the most of the work done already.

I screwed up the last day an told Mrs Judy to let em run and we'd be good cause we had a school fund raiser that evening. I should've known better than to anything, because then became a goal for her...

P1030119 (1).JPG

Jack Pine, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lol! I,ll give you some free therapy ,keep repeating this (I have no control an I don,t care ) :p

Jack Pine, Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Some day I'll learn to keep my mouth shut :p. My wife seemed to think its been 4 -5 yrs sense she's taken a deer so it's ok.....

I took a couple pieces of back straps and froze them in a Lemon/Garlic marinade just for the grill. I've found adding marinade before freezing helps stop freezer burn. Some of the back straps will get wrapped in bacon an slow cooked.
    Most of the inside tenderloins were cooked for Breakfast with eggs & potatoes, they don't last long.

I usually figure it takes me about two hours to debone a deer & freeze after it's hung a few days to cool.

xcaliber likes this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Making me hungry! them tenderloins are at the top of the food chain for me,right there with bacon :p

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  15. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

We cut them up & make medallions with them about 3/8" thick fried up in onions & butter & a little spices. They are out of this world! We also cut some real thin steaks, less than 1/2" thick for breakfast Steak & Eggs. Pan fried with butter & topped with a light flash of Tabasco when done and on the plate, even our non venison eaters love it! The Lipton Onion soup mix is another that works great. I use two eggs for two pounds of the meat, and one whole package of the soup mix, you cannot tell it's venison. ;)

16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That sounds good! I grew up eating chip steak made from deer ,so did my family as everyone loves it. Chip steak fried with onions in it on a good roll with ketchup,red hot sauce .never knew what hamburger was till i got older,thought all deer meat was steak :p

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    xcaliber likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I always remove the inner an outter loins when I skin em, inner loins are usually breakfast within a day a two. Tenderest venison ever. Even if you did have to wipe mother milk off it's lips before taking the pictures

xcaliber likes this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We have canned a couple of deer before, add a clove of garlic & a dash of salt in every quart, our canner holds seven quarts and it takes at least a 100 lb deer to do seven quarts. We don't add any water to the jars and let them cook under pressure for a hour or so. I feel it takes longer than freezing the meat but keeps better, taste like heaven with mashed tatter's and gravy...

xcaliber likes this.
  19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I love canned deer meat , the best ever! My grandma done about everything in a pressure cooker .

xcaliber likes this.
  20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Lots of good ideas. I will have to copy some (in case I ever shoot another deer). My son and I are partial to McCormick's Brown Sugar-Bourbon marinade for the backstraps.:D

Jack Pine, Oppie and xcaliber like this.