The one that got away...

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Turkeys' started by Oppie, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Here's a couple pics of one of the gobblers that just plain out smarted me about four years ago. He liked to fly off the top of the hill to the creek at the bottom of the hill and hang out a while then work his way back up hill later as it warmed up some. Shoulda had him, never even saw him :p. Maybe that's why he my aviator pic :).

Pics are in a driveway, stream is 25yd to the left, open field & lots of woods to the top right. Yea, cam is plumb & level, driveway, not so much. Not much traffic here :p.

gobbler.jpg turkeys.jpg turkeys1.jpg turkeys2.jpg

2. robertyb

robertyb Member

That bird has some hooks on him.

Oppie likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s a nice looking tom! hope you get to wack him an make him pay :p

Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Season opens Sat. morning so we'll see who wants to play. One was gobbling not to far away yesterday around noon, he was all fired up :D, didn't hear any today.

Saw a picture of a gobbler taken in W. Virginia last week, 27.7 lbs on certified scales :) :), I could only hope for one that big.

bbahunter and xcaliber like this.
  5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Choot that bird Bruce!:D

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Someone needs to shoot something here soon o_O us PA boys are losing our reputations as hunters,shooters :rolleyes: :p

Oppie likes this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Heard one gobble once this evening while I was trying to catch a fish :p, they're making me crazy :).

Mrs Judy's fist gobbler back in 2009 when I was teaching her gobbler hunting tricks.

mrsjudy.jpg

A couple of old pics.

Old turky2.jpg Old turkey1.jpg

Stalker, bbahunter and xcaliber like this.
  8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

She,s a good hunter! I like them fine looking birds ,I heard one gobble awhile back down in a hollow from my yard one nice morning but nothing since.I guess I will get things ready tommorow an mabye give my spot a try ,but most times stay home the first day an only hunt during the week. I stay away when all the hunters are out.

xcaliber likes this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Me too, beside the weather looks better next week anyway. I heard a couple earlier today but it's been raining most of the day, it's just to hard to hear em.

xcaliber likes this.
  10. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Good luck Bruce. Turkey season opens monday for me.

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thanks, Best of luck to you to Brian. I think I'm waiting until Monday myself, we're supposed to get some overnight showers tonight, no Sunday hunting here so Monday looks better. At least until I hear one gobble in the morning, then all bets are off. There was three strutting in my neighbors back lawn this morning, she thinks that's really funny to, me out in the woods and the turkeys are in her lawn.

jacol84 likes this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Monday here also as we just got a pretty good bunch of turkeys the last few years . word gets out quick an hunters from all over flock in here as there,s limited places to hunt where the turkeys hang out. reminds me of the first day of buck season an sounds like turkey fest with all the hunters calling. I seen road hunter riding around in there truck an stopping an calling every so often th first day before. so not so excited about the opener or need to be sneaked up on as I call :confused:

jacol84 likes this.
  13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Best of luck to all you guys with the turkey hunting. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy!

Oppie, jacol84 and bbahunter like this.