Temagami Black Bear Hunt

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Bears' started by TX_RDXguy, Jun 13, 2019.

1. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

I took a few days off this month and headed north to Ontario, Canada. The trip was very good and I was able to slow down a bit, enjoy a spring hunt and all of mother nature in a "new to me" part of North America.

Temagami (Ta-mah-gu-me) is in eastern Ontario, mostly a resort vacation and outdoor sports destination area. The Lake Herridge lodge we stayed at reminded me of the vintage 50's/60's built resorts I knew as a kid back in Minnesota in the 70s. Service was great and the hosts here were a young couple with a good support team that did an excellent job hosting our group.

Cabin #9
    HLodgeC#9.jpg

From Allen Texas it's a 26 hour drive or 6 hours by air with two stops in Chicago, then Toronto and finally at North Bay.

TX_ONMap.jpg

The Temagami (Te-mah-ga-me) area is nice, classic bear country. I was the furthest from camp in a ravine on the back side of a trail they called the "Ho Ci Minh Trail". A 10 minute drive by truck, then 20 minutes by ATV. The walk was less than 5 minutes so even by my standards it was a resort style trip into bear country.

Bush1.jpg

Bear movement was very slow due to a colder than normal spring. Day two we had a low temperature of 29 degrees and thankfully I packed the cloths to deal with it. As a group of seven hunters we logged over 250 hours in the stands with only six bear encounters, three of those were mine and only two bear were taken. In contrast to last year where six hunters tagged out in 3 days.

The fist minute or so of the above video was a stand off. This bear had been here previously so he had my scent pegged. There had been two other male bears here at one time or another that same week so he may have been watching to see if any other bears were there before coming in.

Vantage.jpg

The shot was good, damage done was significant. He only took three bounds on exit before expiring, which I was very pleased about. Recovering a bear in this geography can be a challenge.

Tumbled Bear.jpg

OnRockHero2.jpg

I did get a chance to get some fishing in on Lake Herridge. We didn't do as well with the rod and reel but the scenery made up for it.

Iceland Lake.jpg

Iceland Lake Rock.jpg

Iceland Lake2.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pics and video.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Great story, glad you had a good trip, can't open some of your pix though.

TX_RDXguy likes this.
  3. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

I did do a copy function on several vs uploading and inserting Jack. I see them all when I look at the thread but that may be just my view. Let's see how others reply. Maybe I need to redo it ;)

Great trip, very thankful for the chance to do it. A tip of the hat needs to go to Todd Bromley at Crossbow Magazine for the invite.

4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Awesome hunt, thanks for sharing with us house mouse guys :).

TX_RDXguy likes this.
  5. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

Check it now Jack. I think it's corrected.

6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Congrats!

TX_RDXguy likes this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Great pics and story, Rich. Thanks for sharing with us.

TX_RDXguy likes this.
  8. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Yep, got em, thanks.

TX_RDXguy likes this.
  9. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

Happy to do so guys. Do it some day if you can. The hunt is quite different and bear meat is actually pretty good.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

BTW, if you ever fly and need to carry hunting gear. Take a look at SKB cases. They have a case for just about anything. Pretty darn nice and they can take a beating yet keep contents safe.

NitroXTR4KPro.jpg

bbahunter likes this.
  11. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Congrats!

TX_RDXguy likes this.
  12. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

TX_RDXguy likes this.
  13. Stalker

Stalker Member