Recurve day

Discussion in 'Compound, Recurve & Long Bows - Vertical Archery' started by Masboy, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I keep thinking about a nice recurve,longbow but worried about the wrong dominate eye an hate to close my good one being a lefty an lefty bow shooter but got out my samic sage bowfishing bow an took the bowfishing rig ,roller rest off an made me a carpet shelf rest. it,s only 30 plus lb an I have a long draw length an longest arrows I have in my box were 30 inch 2315 with Blazers .

wrong all around for this bow an a little short but determined to shoot this thing I cut the fingers out of a leather glove an set the brace height,nocking point on it an not very good at first an got a big welt on my arm from bad form :confused: finally stood proper an just relaxed my fingers on the release an kept aiming till I seen the arrow hit an surprised me how good I shot this thing.

I could not put it down an kept shooting as the snow came down till my fingers got sore. now I want a good one for sure an had quite a time flinging arrows. been years since my dads old takedown Fiberglas carp bow an my super Diablo but I want one to hunt with some.

2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Glad you can still shoot one, Frank.:)

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I learn most things by trial an error an think I learned some today about what it takes to get better accuracy from my recurve with heavy arrows . will make me a much better shot when bow-fishing with heavy arrows in this low poundage bow .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  4. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi......

I've tried it once and I couldn't hit a barn.

be safe

Stan

5. B&R

B&R Member

i have about 40 years experance shooting long bow and recurves so i know what i am what am saying shot competed most of those years in tradtional class how long is your draw most bows gain about 2 1/2 pounds per inch if you want to check this take a bathroom scale a cut down broom handle put a noch in it and put a scale in inches on the handle put the string in the noch put on scale push down to your draw and it will give your weagh for that bow if i had not blowen out my shoulder i would allways hunt that way there is know feeling like it i use to shoot birds out of the air shoot running deer rabbit i miss it so there is no feeling like it

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I have a wide wing span an use to shoot my arrows full length out of the box :p now getting old an don,t pull back as far or shrinking I think :p around 30 inch draw now with 32 inch arrows for me with broadheads . thinking around 45-50lb an with the gain will be 50-55lb.

been looking at lots of takedown bows with interchangeable limbs but for practice I have this sage an can buy heavier limbs for 70.00 an see how things go before getting what I want. I see some of these guys shooting flying targets with bow an that amazes me! I come from a family of pretty fair trap shooters so I,m a shotgun man :p

7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

:pMore snow last night after having my driveway clean as the snow stopped . now covered again this morning:mad: so bored an tinkering with this recurve for something to do an removed the Blazers an put on 2inch razed feathers for off the shelf on these 30 inch 2315 super slams.

I know there the wrong spine but all I have an can most times get about any arrow that,s not to weak to shoot in most bows no matter what the spine with some tinkering. some shooting an testing today to see if I can get some good arrow flight. My have to break out my timmney or winns release on this recurve an not a proud purest :p
    [​IMG]

8. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi Frank.......

Enjoy:

be safe

Stan

9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Unreal! wish I could do that an see I have a long way to go :p
    Thanks Stan I enjoyed !!!!!!

Delta-Stan likes this.
  10. Don

Don Member

I have a 40# Samick Red stag left hand bow. Those recurves are hard to put down. It's killed some game for me over the last couple of seasons. With 150 gr magnus stinger heads it will give pass throughs on whitetails at 27 yards, (furthest I've killed with it). Samick makes a great bow! Now I'm ready to move on to a crossbow.

11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I tuned it up fitting my shelf an nocking point to where I thought it should be then shot a bar shaft at 6 feet an looked great for going in the target strait an kept hitting the same hole in my bag :eek: I was using my winns release that I love an worked perfect an much better than my fingers for now an I put a old plastic sight pin,stabilizer on it.

15-25 wind here today so I stood around the side of my garage out of the wind to shoot the bare shafts . then set the bag out In the yard at 20yds.an stood in the garage opening so I could hold steady sighting in an shocked at how good I shot with these arrows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

B&R and Delta-Stan like this.
  12. B&R

B&R Member

i have a set of samic sage limbs they fit my hoyt hunt masters i have three of those you are hurting me i have about 40 long bows or recurves from very old to fairly new. bears pearsons martins hoyts wings and many you probly never heard of with your draw you are not far off are you useing 100 grain point if you useing 125 your a little light on spine for 45-55

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Some fine bows you have! this bows only low 30lb. an my muscle is sore from holding it back aiming with the sight. now I see these arrows are flying ok I will get rid of the sight ,release an just shoot off the shelf with fingers. this is my bowfishing bow an just trying to get better with it so when I put my bowfishing rig back on I can shoot it better.

I,m looking at hunting bows an trying to decide what I want a recurve,longbow . just more fun than I have had for sometime shooting a bow. I always had a thing about watching a arrow fly to the target :p I took the sight off an was looking down the arrow with the bow canted an was shooting from my garage at 20 yds. with the release an fingers an same poi with both an nailing the bull with both an I was shocked . I,m hooked !!!!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  14. B&R

B&R Member

a #30 bow @ 28inchs if your pullings 30'' your draw weaght is at least 35 pounds good luck with it do not go to heavy a draw that is the biggest mistake most people make. 35 pounds will blow through a deer with the right broadhead most states min bow weaght is 35-45 pounds going light will save your body

15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m learning lots by reading tips on shooting a recurve instinctively . I learn just consentrate on a small spot on my target an keep my bow hand pointer finger pointed strait out at the target an it works. like all bows don,t move the bow till I see the arrow hit.

By doing all this I can now shoot with both eyes open left handed even thow my right eyes my master eye an shoot inline. no more having to close my right eye or worry about sights yeha!!!!!! your right what a pleasure to shoot this low poundage an learn on an later maybe a 45-50 lb. For hunting . I,m a pretty big stong ol dude but no high pound bows for me as I like accuracy ,pleasure to shoot.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  16. B&R

B&R Member

45 pounds is pleanty for whitail rember to add 2 /12 pounds per inch over 28inchs for your draw a 40# bow will put you at 45# and as you are older you do not want to put more stress on your shoulder than you have to i am not as tall but worked construction most of my life and it still happend to me i know alot of outhers at it happend to please keep your weaght low

Delta-Stan likes this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

This things 47lb an after much trial an error I,m getting in the groove shooting off the shelf with no sights just looking down the arrow consentrating on the target. I made a tab for 3 fingers under an also shoot a winns release an get the same poi from both .i shoot better with the release an my fingers don,t get sore. shot these at 15yds this morning my main range for now.

Learned I have to hold the bow grip snug against all I read an works for me . (Don,t move the bow arm after the shot!!!!!!!) there,s a right way,wrong way , my way :p sons getting one this week for some friendly competition ! bring it on :p
    0D25EC46-1BAA-4C2A-A946-5DA33E5512CC_zps5gzvtdsx.jpg
    5A0CEF6D-B05A-4BD8-8FAE-B4A5B6AA45C8_zpsjltbwe0h.jpg

Delta-Stan and jacol84 like this.
  18. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Very good, Frank. My problem was always lack of consistency. One day, fist sized groups at 25, next day, all over the place. Never figured it out. I am now up to 35# with my left hand (Bowflex) so I tried the 35# bamboo longbow I made for my son 7 years ago. Still does not feel great, but it feels like maybe some day, just for fun.;)

19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I don,t shoot that good at 25yd but had the same problem an was getting frustrated as the string was hitting my arm till I read Howard hill used a firm grip holding the bow.

after trying that no more string hitting my arm an big improvement for consistancy. now when I do things right that arrow seems to go where i,m looking an i,m shooting everyday an do not give up easy :p

jacol84 likes this.
  20. B&R

B&R Member

i have been trying to shoot a light compound 40# like a recurve my shoulder will not hold up to a recurve i have had some sucsess but have problems with the rest not use to them but getting better