Reconfigured

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by Stalker, Dec 26, 2017.

1. robertyb

robertyb Member

That is why I just leave my decals on all of mine. I have not had an arrow in a target yet I could not pull though some were very hard to get out. :)
    I do have a couple in trees that will be there till the tree gets cut though. :(

xcaliber likes this.
  2. Stalker

Stalker Member

Well I went ahead and made some 2219's. I cut them shorter than planned at 15.5". Put in the 92gn inserts and 3" Fusion vanes. They weigh in at 450.5-451.2 gns. With a 100gn point.

No telling how they will fly. I put firenock M nicks in them but would prefer some flat nocks

I think they may do well with field points. Broad heads may be a different story. 20171229_160917.jpg 20171229_161256.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

My bet, dead ass on the money! Don't misunderstand me, I cut my teeth with aluminum arrows, that's all we had besides Cedar in those days.
    Those look Killer BTW.;)

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  4. Stalker

Stalker Member

I hope your right! I've never shot such a short arrow though.I've been down with a cold I caught over the holiday being around a bunch of people.Hopefully I feel like getting outside and shooting tomorrow,weather permitting.

xcaliber likes this.
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Arrows look good, Paul. Bet they shoot well. I feel like crap this week too. Wife's week off from school and she has a sinus infection and I have a bad cold.:rolleyes:

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I hope short arrows shoot better for you than they do for me . for me ok to hunt with down to 16 inches but not like my 20 inch .looking forward to your results.

Stalker likes this.
  7. Stalker

Stalker Member

Yeah I think I may have strep throat.I've never had a sore throat like this before.I wasn't really feeling well but I snuck out and took 3 shots with the short 2219's while the wife is out shopping.Its about 45 and windy but thats much better than the forcast for the next few days.That polar air is coming in tonight.

My scope is sighted in with other arrows and broad heads so my poa and poi are off a bit.Considering the wind they shot pretty good.Then again the wind may have helped.Back to hibernation now before the wife gets home and I get into trouble lol:D 20171230_133357.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  8. Stalker

Stalker Member

Well I finally got rid of a terrible cold and got out to shoot the 2219's again.:D

This time I sighted them in at 20 and then set the speed dial for 30 yards.

So far I'm really happy and impressed with them.It was somewhat windy today and the short somewhat heavy arrows (450gns 313fps) seemed to resist it very well. This was at 30 yards.

The next test will be broad heads.Hopefully soon! I think I'm going to start with 100gn Slick Trick Mags 20180106_153941.jpg

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looking good! they make my short arrows look bad:confused::p

xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  10. Stalker

Stalker Member

Well I shot the 2219"s with the 100gn Slick Tricks today.

The first few shots were real good. Then things went haywire!

I'm not positive but I think the 92gn brass inserts were possibly shifting.Getting off center or something due to the slightly loose fit.I had them all nice and concentric before I started. They shot a pretty tight group at first very close to field points.Then spread out a good bit! I could feel with my thumb nail where they were overhanging the shaft in spots where they were even before:( They still shot the field points pretty good but with a very slight wobble the Slicks were no good.

I've got some 60gn aluminum inserts for 2219's coming. That should solve the loose fit issue. I'll have to switch to 125gn heads to get close to the same foc though.Who know?The 100gn heads may still work?

11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Cal said the aluminum inserts and 100 gr. works for him, but I think he shoots Spitfires. When I shot my 15.75" 2219s last summer, they would shoot Muzzy 100 gr. 4 blade with the practice blades right with field points, but Slick Trick mags were off. Not real bad, but off maybe 2" at 30.

12. Stalker

Stalker Member

These were pretty close to fp's to start then started changing.I'm pretty sure it was the inserts.The aluminum 60 gr inserts will be here today or tomorrow.

On another note I saw some 100gn Ram Cats on sale for $21.What say you guys? I've read a lot of good things about them.

13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

There the best flying fixed blade I ever tested on a bare shaft .real killers on deer that we shot with them . just a pain as you have to tighten the blade screws after each shot as there made that way to cut when coming back out. I have broke the steel ferals practicing with them:confused: better than most but not as tuff as slicktricks . with all the gimmicks an gadgets out there it seems I always come back to slicktricks as they just plain work an tuff as nails.

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  14. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Stalker, If you'll roll those 92 gr brass insert between two files it will knurl them and make them have a press fit into your shafts. Really helps center them up !

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  15. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, like Frank said, Ramcats are the best flying "fixed" broadhead I've shot. I have not tried anything yet that shoots as much like field points as the Ramcats. I have heard on some forums that there are copies out there that are not good quality. I honestly have no idea how to tell the difference.

Stalker likes this.
  16. Stalker

Stalker Member

I'm not sure I fallow you? I get them centered and spinning good but after a shot or two they get off centered.Too small for the 2219 shafts.

17. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Maybe I misunderstood you, My apologies. I thought your inserts were slightly under sized for the shafts you're using. Rolling them between files knurls them Wich makes the Outside Diameter bigger, This makes them fit the shaft tighter and keeps them centered better.

Stalker likes this.
  18. Stalker

Stalker Member

No apologies necessary! Yes they are under sized. Thank you! I will give it a try!

19. Stalker

Stalker Member

Well I did like you said 8point. It did seem to help but the Slicks still flew terrible imo

Put my last 2 Swhackers on with 1 scope adjustment and shot these at 30 yards. I've just had no luck with these Slick Trick mags with several different arrows. I'll get 1 hitting bulls and the other 2 will be off.

Time to get more Swhackers. 20180110_145641.jpg

20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Very easy to assemble Slick Tricks (especially the newer ones) so they don't spin straight. Sometimes I have to loosen, retighten them several times before they are right. The rounded part of the washer has to be to the blade side too.

Stalker likes this.