Reconfigured

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by Stalker, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Stalker

Stalker Member

Reconfigured my set up/arrows the past few days.

I took 3 of the 92 gn inserts out of the Spynal Tapps my buddy sent me for Christmas.He had cut them down from 22" to 18" and reinstalled the inserts with low temp hot melt.

I installed 3, 110 gn inserts with some small screws added to the backs giving them a weight of 123gns or so. With aluminum flat nocks and 100gn heads their right around 430gns.I wanted the 110 gn inserts and extra 13gn screw weight for shooting 100gn heads and better foc.

Got them sighted in today and ready to go with my favorite 100gn 2"cut Swhackers. I'm feeling a little more confident now shooting my old faithful heads.

A shout out to Dan for the great string as well! 20171222_141428.jpg 20171222_141532.jpg 20171222_141557.jpg 20171226_162940.jpg 20171226_174651.jpg 20171226_180404.jpg

xcaliber, Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Looking good, Paul. I got another half dozen Tapps when he put the old label Tapps on sale. Just bare shafts so I have to make them up. When I was shooting 20" arrows, I used the 92 gr. but for the 18" and under, I also like the 110s or 112 LNL inserts. I'm guessing the screw you used is an 8/32? What is the length?

Stalker likes this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

I'm not sure what size they are Jeff. I'm sure they are 8/32. I'm guessing a 1/4". I cut up a field point first and it was more weight than I wanted even ground down.I found these in one of my junk hardware bins. I found 2 first and weighed them 13.2-13.4 gns.I though these will be perfect.I kept digging and found the the 3rd:D. I liked that they were allen heads and I put some hot melt on them before I screwed them in. Then I coated them good with hot melt before installing the inserts.I got the weight and foc I wanted without having to use 125gn broad heads.:D

All of my carbon 20" arrows have 110gn inserts.But I almost always shoot 100gn heads.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looking good! I would call them dot killers !

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Nice shooting!

Stalker likes this.
  6. Stalker

Stalker Member

Now I think I'm going to make up some 2219's Eastons at 16.5 " with the 92gn inserts I took out of the Tapps.I checked and they fit half way tight. I'm thinking they will weigh in around 455-460gns with a 100gn head.Who knows how they will fly. Maybe Jack Pine?

jacol84 likes this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

That's actually what I'm thinking about for 3D next summer. Load up a heavy aluminum around 20" and just shoot my SS. Wouldn't have to switch limbs then. Even around 310, the 16" aluminums tend to go in to the fletching on some of the targets. My 15 3/4" 2219s with aluminum inserts and firenocks weigh 375 gr. Pretty sure Jack Pine shoots aluminum inserts.

8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I used to really enjoy shooting the aluminum arrows years ago. I have switched to carbon some time ago though, and I really don't want to sound harsh here, but what would be the motivation to go back to aluminum? I would never consider it, but maybe I'm biased, or truly missing the nostalgia in it. Please enlighten me to the advantages.

9. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Dan, as I understand it, the spine around the shaft is much more consistent with aluminum. You can cut them cleanly with a small tubing cutter, and then use a reloading chamfer tool to clean up the cut. I have seen some guys post very impressive groups but I always take posted groups with a grain of salt unless a guy has seemed like a person that can be trusted. I shoot them for 3D because they pull out of 3D targets much easier than carbon.

xcaliber likes this.
  10. Stalker

Stalker Member

I hope I'm trusted Jeff lol. Just plain accuracy and price imo Dan. They weigh more per gpi but thats ok with me. These 6 were right out of the box at 28yards.Where the second line in my scope was hitting. The video is some I made at 18.5" at 30 yards Magnums @28 2006-01-19 004.JPG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

No doubts about you, Paul. I've seen guys claim consistent 1" groups at 70 yards with 2219s. (Maybe under ideal conditions?), other guys show shots precisely in the center of a target, and claim they can do that "all day long" offhand.:rolleyes: Another expert places his personal self-esteem on NEVER taking a rest of any kind (under any circumstances), an shows shots (again precisely in the center of the spot) at 60-70 yards with an expensive Red Dot sight. Claiming accuracy that would rival world championship level as routine is where I break out the :rolleyes:.;)

On the other hand, pro archers like Fifi, Vagaru, Tryinhardarcher, are truly amazing, but they work very hard to do what they do.

Stalker likes this.
  12. Stalker

Stalker Member

I do too at 30 yard lol! I'm Just using a rest and shouldering the bow sitting down. I'll admit I never could get those 6 magnums to all hit that good again.But they were very very close many many times lol! Good arrows but the nocks are terrible imo.

I'm pretty anal about accuracy though.I dont get to shoot much at longer distances though.Hitting dimes at 30 is mainly what I'm after.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL :D

. Aim small miss small.jpg

13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

by the looks of those dot shots maybe I need to go over to the dark side:pi,m really slipping here lately as I most times have arrows that I tested as bare shafts marked an fletched for the bow I tested them in . now just a few of each that I don,t even know what bow I tested them in as I Change things around so much . i do have six factory blazer fletched zombies I could setup for my vortex that,s my shooter now. no high power bows for me anymore other than to hunt with. The long heavy vortex is my favorite target bow with 20 inch arrows with no string stops .

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Cocking the heavy ones does become a chore, does it not? As a quick experiment, I put together the Patriot front end (forward riser, Matrix limbs) on my 13.5" rail, which should have made a 400-405. I was surprised it wasn't very noisy, but the cocking rope handles almost slipped out of my hand twice. Decided enough of that. Given the lack of Wooly Mammoths in PA, I will just use the SS and Patriot.;)

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  15. Stalker

Stalker Member

You sound like me Frank. I have so many different bows and arrows I get confused as to what bow was sighted in using what arrows.I try to keep them in the quiver for that particular bow but forget sometimes.

I do know which ones with broad heads on them go to what bow though.Thats the important part:D

xcaliber likes this.
  16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

The worst thing is I have so many brands of different arrows that I took acetone to the decal on that got mixed up :confused: I tryed weighing to figure out but don,t remember what arrows have what 110g ,92 grain inserts :confused: most times I can tell a executioner by the Carbon weave look .i gave up but still have my good 6 zombies that still have decals an not removing them:p I do have some great shooting vertical arrows for my crossbows that are 20-32 inches that Spine don,t seem to mean squat for . all I know is they shoot good in all my bows :oops:

xcaliber likes this.
  17. Stalker

Stalker Member

I know what you mean.I hate decals.If I take them off I will use a sharpi to mark the shafts.Some being .001 and .003 also helps since their marked.

xcaliber likes this.
  18. Stalker

Stalker Member

The spine on them is more consistent than a lot of carbon arrows especially for the same price.Some fletch them according to the fusion line/seam. I spine index them just like carbons.

xcaliber likes this.
  19. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I think that explains it! LOL. I just remember from my old days a lot of wobbling arrows because they had been dinged up a bit. That is some fine shooting I might add, but I'm still staying with the carbon arrows.;) I will have to get a bit more practice before I post any shooting videos.:D:p:eek:

Stalker likes this.
  20. Stalker

Stalker Member

Imo a good arrow is a good arrow no matter what its made of. If they hit where I'm aiming they get shot, carbon or aluminum . I'm not picky both have there pro's and con's