Pulled the trigger on the spare parts

Discussion in 'Middleton Crossbows' started by Munch007, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Well I had to rob Peter to pay Paul but Peter can wait for a bit ... ;)
    Thought I'd better jump on that 330 deal before it vanished. So I now have all the spare parts I could need.
    20190315_162458.jpg

2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

It’s always a good plan to have a backup!:cool:

Munch007 likes this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Sweet! Peter is always waiting anyway, what's another month or two :p. Best time time buy spares is when you see them :).

Munch007 likes this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Not spare parts,another fine looking bow!

bbahunter and Munch007 like this.
  5. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Yup, been on the "loose" side of that
    "If ya snooze" equation enough times for sure. Thought it'd be prudent to scarf it up. Took my bow in to compare before I shelled out the sheckles. Found out mine was a 2nd gen and this new one is a 3rd gen. This new one is a little more used but has an upgraded riser and the stock is a little more trim and has a little warning bump to remind you to keep your fingers out of the way ... lol and a little warning sticker that says that. The cammo is a little different from mine and it definitely weighs less. Has a nice little 46mil red dot on it too. 20190315_162630.jpg 20190315_162523.jpg 20190316_011355.jpg I also found this number on the underside of the limbs
    20190316_011058.jpg same on each limb

6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

They are good bows. Shame Derrick ran the business the way he did.

7. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Munch007 likes this.
  8. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

That's a cool little red dot sight.

Munch007 likes this.
  9. Munch007

Munch007 Member

bbahunter likes this.
  10. Munch007

Munch007 Member

20190223_015122.jpg Gave it that special Munch flavor with a little faux carbon fiber treatment before it was installed

jacol84 likes this.
  11. Munch007

Munch007 Member

20190223_015314.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Nice looking job! Must be good screws as they even have letters or numbers on them:p I replaced my factory Excalibur screws as they were junk . ​

Munch007 likes this.
  13. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Thanx Mb. Ya I'm not particular about the hardware that exco is using here. I liked the recessed Allen's that were in the other mount better.

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I had to recess some of mine to keep er from moving on a couple power bows . thank God for the good folks on here an all there great ideals,I would have been lost without them.

xcaliber and Munch007 like this.
  15. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Seconded ;)

16. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Oh Joy! I think I may finally get the chance to poke some holes in my targets tomorrow. Heading to the lil brothers place in the country. I've been soooooo itching to shoot these bows.
    I actually set up a 10yd ally in the breezeway between the house and shop. Common sense stopped me before I loaded the Midi ...
    a high powered crossbow
    +
    a high density neighborhood
    =
    Undeniable Stupidity
    and Potential Disaster ... ;)
    especially since there has been several "incidents" in town recently involving arrows. Some dude was shot dead by a bow about a month ago. Last week they found a second goose with an arrow sticking out of it.
    Figures, now that I finally own a crossbow stupid dickwads are doing stupid shit with them. Watch they'll get tossed in the "restricted weapons" list now, just my luck :(
    But tomorrow will be legal schmeagle
    I should have some nice comparison data between the two bows to look at when I get finished ;)

17. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Well it figures, time comes to get in a little bow time
    ... and it pisses down rain :(
    Went up to the lil brothers place anyways and puttered around between the stints of rain and snow. I setup the chrony and a tripod rest in the mouth of his shop 20190330_171538.jpg scoped out 21yds on the finder, sat down in the wooden chair and lined up a shot 20190330_171608.jpg using my original g2version setup a 20" aluminum blackmax with the predator half moon lighted nock.
    ... I watched it sail about 9-10" high to 2oclock on the bull and disappear itself into the cornfield at 283fps ... hmmm
    So we put up a little bit of a back stop.
    20190330_171608.jpg 20190330_193713.jpg
    Next I set up the g3version as I received it (haven't had any time to even look it over really)
    Loaded up another black max (516g+-)
    Went to line up the shot ... and the red dot isn't showing and I have no cross hairs otherwise. I cover the objective with my hand and the reticle shows :(
    So I use this and visualize where it would be and pass the arrow through the chrony at 297fps striking the bag at 4" to 9oclock from the bull
    20190330_193626.jpg
    Next I loaded up the g2 again with a firebolt with a Lumenok and fieldpoint
    Adjusted aim from my first shot with it and squeezed the trigger ...
    (which is most delightful indeed, he's definitely done a nice job here ;))
    Pumped the Excalibur bolt through the chrony at 298fps striking the backstop 3" above the bag just right of center. 20190330_213354.jpg
    .... passing through the 3/4" board and burying itself 2" into the 2x4 leg of the sawhorse holding up the skid. Hmmm
    We unfortunately broke the arrow during the extrication :(
    ... so I tried it again, this time I set up a 22" black max with a 100g fatbelly bullet tip. It went out the backside of the trap at 300fps and struck the backstop 3ish inches above the target just left of center. It too passed through the wooden skid leaving a nasty hole and disappeared itself into the cornfield as well. 20190330_193643.jpg
    I'm Gonna call this a reasonable success. My trigger finger itch is satisfied for the moment, the equipment works for the most part.
    ... I now have an open ended fletched shaft that I can fit my bore sight laser in, and check nock fits and string set easily (I do believe that was an idea from xcalibur in a thread that I saw)
    Thank you Sir good tool to have, and now I do ... and Tommy's sawhorse has a fieldpoint in it lol
    I realized that I did change the scope mount to the ADF and have only eyeballed things true when I put them back together. I'll have to get some New batteries and see if that works too.
    And most importantly ... nobody was injured during the making of this crossbow story :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lol! sounds like my shooting ,hunting arrows,seeing what damage I done,fun,fun,fun:p best bore sighter I found for everything is get close to the target :pthumb pieces missing,strings fly off,tips fly off limbs ,scope failure ,just a start as it just keeps getting better the more you shoot :p

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Munch007 likes this.
  19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Nice. Need a better bag, as I'm sure you know. I just use 100# feed bags stuffed with old target guts, old sheets, towels, etc. I'm just about as cheap a person as you are going to find.;)

Munch007 likes this.
  20. Munch007

Munch007 Member

... apparently I need to find me
    "the broad side of a barn"
    I couldn't believe that the field swallowed up those bolts without a trace like that. Tommy said he'd get the nephew out there with the metal detector when it's a little drier lol
    ;)