Picked up a new bow

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by Stalker, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Stalker

Stalker Member

Was going to wait and possibly get one of the new Centerpoint/Man kung bows. But I got tired of waiting and Academy Sports had 1 Killer Instinct Ripper 415 for $379 Reviews have been pretty good on this one and its been out for a while. The lifetime warranty also is better than the CP bows offer so I got it. 20190412_140351.jpg 20190412_155946.jpg 20190414_195815.jpg

Chrono speeds are slower than advertised but its still shooting 406 fps with a 387 gn arrow and 393 with a 429 gn. Put a Trophy Ridge xv530 ir scope on it. Eye relief is a little close but I think I'll get used to it. I know I love the extra mag with the speed dial way up over 390. I think I'm going to like it. Its also pretty light for a compound at 6.9lbs

Shot a few groups yesterday at 20 and 30 yards testing some arrows for it. These BS Witness shafts with Zeon fusion vanes did pretty good. Had to hold under a little with 2 of them so a little nock tuning may be in order. All in all not too bad.

@20yards 20190415_123415.jpg 20190415_123424.jpg

@30 yards 20190415_125321.jpg

bbahunter, Munch007, xcaliber and 3 others like this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Nice! fast,accurate an looks great to me.amazing for the price !

xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  3. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Sweeeeeeeet! More good shootin.

Stalker likes this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Looking good, Paul. How is the cocking effort with that beast?

5. Stalker

Stalker Member

Not as bad as I thought it might be. Its a long 15" stroke, but the cams roll over and it gets a little easier about 3/4's of the way up. I've probably shrunk to about 5'8" used to be 5'9" and I have no issues... Yet... They do have a crank though :D

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks great. Shoots pretty good I’d say too!

Stalker likes this.
  7. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Very nice! Looks like it's working well!

Stalker likes this.
  8. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Nice bow, good luck with it.

Stalker likes this.
  9. Stalker

Stalker Member

Ended up having a limb failure with the bow. KI sent me a new front end no questions asked. Service was a little slow but they came through.

Ended up loosing some vanes off of the BS arrows in the pics above. Not sure why and am planing on refletching them. Meanwhile I pulled out some old Spynal Tapps today and dialed them in. They dont shoot as good as they used too but still shot pretty good at 30 Yards.

Added a recoil pad to give me more eye relief for the xv53o. Seems like it will do the job. Also added a 5 position folding pistol grip. I think I have it the way I like it now.Time will tell I guess. Starting to get used to the trigger. Killed a few dots today. The old diy target is holding up pretty good to the 390 fps.Its due for its 3rd repacking though:D 20190517_134539.jpg 20190517_134925.jpg

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

It is truly sad when arrows degrade to the point that you can't always shoot inside out on a 1/2" dot at 30 yards.;) That is some fine shooting. Way to wipe the smiles off the faces of those dots!:D

Oppie, xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  11. Stalker

Stalker Member

Thanks Jeff. I try!

Its down right frustrating when their smiling back at you! Haha! you missed:eek:poop:. It wouldn't be so fun if it wasn't a challenge though:D

They got replaced by these 4 Blood Sports out of the Sniper. I like them to all be touching before they go into the hunting quiver:D 20180603_160121.jpg

Hopefully I can make another 4 that group this good for the Ripper

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  12. Stalker

Stalker Member

Well this morning I decided to refletch the Blood Sport shafts from the beginning of this thread. The ones with the Zeon vanes.

I checked the spine location and it was correctly marked. Instead of trying to bare shaft tune I just went with it since they shot pretty good with the Zeons.

This time I went with Duravane 2" Predator vanes. Their lighter than the fusions giving a little more foc.I also placed them 7/8" from the back of the shaft as the GT moon nocks are a little longer than most. They weigh in right around 424gns with a 100 gn point.

Started with 3. Sighted one in at 20 then shot these groups at 30. Didn't bother with adjusting the scope after the 20 yard sight in. It was pretty windy and changing directions. I just wanted to see how well they grouped .

The first group was great!:D How much of it was luck I'm not sure with the wind and all:D 20190519_143319.jpg
    The second group was pretty good as well. Not as good as the first though 20190519_144452.jpg
    The 3rd group was a lot like the first. 20190519_150120.jpg

I was pretty happy with them so I decided to go ahead and make a fourth.

The 2 high and slightly right fresh holes above the top 2 dots were from the fourth.I rotated the nock 180 and it improved a good bit. 20190519_162513.jpg

After rotating the nock 180

20190519_162445.jpg
    I've got more of these shafts to fletch but these 4 are looking pretty good:D. I need less wind and more shooting to know for sure, but I think their better than the Tapps in the video above. I might need to swap some nocks around as well.:D

13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That grouping will do the job on anything you hunt!:cool:

Stalker likes this.
  14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul (Stalker) sent me a message on another forum, that he can't post anything on here. Anyone else having problems on this site?

15. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

I can post, just can't post pictures at times.

16. Stalker

Stalker Member

Thanks Jeff I got it figured out. For some reason I have to click/check the stay logged in box to log in now.

17. robertyb

robertyb Member

No problems at all on my end.
    [​IMG]

Stalker likes this.
  18. Stalker

Stalker Member

Seems to working correctly now. I didn't have to check the stay logged in box to log in this time:D. If that was you at work Brad thanks!

19. kip

kip New Member

great shooting Paul! tell me about the BS witness shafts. Can the gold tip or Black eagle inserts be used? and can they be bought as shafts only? who makes them? and how straight are they? Kip

20. Stalker

Stalker Member

Blood Sport makes them Kip as far as I know. I dont know if you can get just the shafts or not. They are the same diameter as Black Eagle shafts so yes the inserts will work. I put Golt tip moon nocks in these. I got these at Walmart on clearance about a year ago for $1.50 each. They are .003 straightness but tested a little better. I ended up getting 14. I've spine indexed and refletched 9 0r 10 I think. They fly great for me.

Here's 4 I built for the Sniper. Put 1 through buck last season with it.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.