My fox got short

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, May 27, 2019.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Got out the old hacksaw ,files an cut 10 inches off my old fox double,now 20 inch barrels ,turned out great.patterned it with some trap loads ,#4buck an it shot great at 20yds throwing nice even patterns .i wanted a boat gun without getting locked up in MD for carrying my handguns.even makes a good house gun now .when I get bored something’s getting the saw:p

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Oppie, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks great!:cool:

Oppie likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I just got done checking out Maryland long gun laws :eek: says you better have it an ammo separate,going hunting or home from ,be bringing it home from buying it or going or coming from the range .no other reason for having it an 3 year mandatory sentence :eek:

Oppie likes this.
  4. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Nice job.

Oppie likes this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I was out patterning my short fox sxs today an real happy with it . I shot some 1 oz loads of #6 at 15 yds thru both barrels ,both inline about same poi,both 2/3 pattern high, both shot most of the shot in a nice even Pattern in about a 18 inch circle.little tighter than I thought it would be for no choke at all,for a close range defense gun I like them to cover the barn door :p got to get me some 00 buck for my home load an pattern it . I love this gun!

bbahunter, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Frank, is that a Sterlingworth? 12, 16, or 20? I found out a few years ago that, since I worked in the gun shop over 30 years ago, that the value of old double barrels has gone down quite a bit. I had a nice L.C. Smith 12 ga that I used to hunt with a lot. Pretty much had to give it away to move it. I still have some family shotguns, but I doubt I'll ever really hunt small game anymore. Today's put and take pheasant hunting just doesn't do it for me.:(

bbahunter and Oppie like this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Yes a 12 Sterlingworth,older one made in philly.from what I read pretty valuable gun oringinal ,this one has been redone I;m sure as it is to nice,tight for the age .i like buying a old valuable well made guns that have been devalued by a blue job or anything else.collector value means nothing to me.

bbahunter and Oppie like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

For some reason I feel the only real value of firearm is to the owner. I have my dad's J.C. Higgins 12ga bolt action shotgun he bought after ww2, it's got notches cut in the stock for the deer he got with it and is worth more as a barn gun than a actual hunting gun but I keep it anyway.

xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Any gun that can protect my family has great value to me ,better yet if it was handed down from family member.I sleep better now with this gun in my dressers sock ,underwear drawer up stairs :D

xcaliber and Oppie like this.