My 2017 season ----->

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by Oppie, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sorry to hear that ! must be Murphy at work as my son missed a big boy tonight an he ran down toward my stand that I was not in as I got back late from cabelas . I bought all they had of my favorite lures on sale an some others ,red robin burger :oops::p I came home broke again an now will have to get a deer so we have some food :p

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I hate when they are so close. There was a 60 lb button buck came running first time I grunted, he was so close I could hear him sniffing the apples. When he grunted I thought there was another deer was around, yea right on top of me. Put a Nice hole in the screen in my wife's blind, wait till she see that one! Shes going with me in the morning but I think he's fine, there should have been blood everywhere an not a drop was found.

3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Finally have some time and it's getting cooler, though still kinda wet this week. Wind direction will be bad for any of my stands, so maybe I will just get out and scout with the crossbow along for the ride.:rolleyes: I know, best time to go hunting is when you can.;)

xcaliber likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Amen!

xcaliber likes this.
  5. robertyb

robertyb Member

Sounds to me like you only got some hair. If you did hit him I surely hope you can find him.

xcaliber likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That's all I could find this morning was hair. Not even a speck of blood. I went down into the woods where he ran and there's nothing on the weeds or bairs, with the Griz tricks there should have been blood every where if I hit anything at all. I did kick up two deer in the bairs this morning an checked their beds out and nothing.
    These woods were logged a couple of yrs ago now the Raspberry briars are head high an thick, usually if a wounded deer walks thru them they wipe blood an leave a nice trail.

Under this apple tree.
    P1030057.JPG

I followed a deer into the mess once and that's how I met my new chiropractor, tripped an my forehead smacked a rock on the way down.

P1030058.JPG

7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

When I go thru briars like that there,s always blood on them but it,s mine most times :p it,s been logged where we are hunting also a couple years ago an son says you can,t believe how thick it is now :confused: from what he,s been seeing it,s a hot buck spot being real thick . maybe you will get another chance at him so good luck!

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I have no doubt he'll be seen again, my wife said all I did was educate him, he'll be wiser now.
    The two I kicked up this morning were like hunting rabbits in the biars, they let me get about 15yds from em then jump & run all you see is a tail going over the brush piles.

10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I didn't recover my arrow yet either, I have a feeling it's buried deep in the ground never to be seen again :oops:.

11. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Hope he comes back around for you, sounds like maybe a close miss.

Oppie likes this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I checked with the rangefinder, about 8 yds to where he was.

13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Only had a flock of twenty or so Hen turkeys come by tonight, came home to see a Doe and her two little ones feeding in my field, Life is good on the Hill :).

P1030060 (2).JPG

P1030061.JPG

Delta-Stan, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s a nice flock of birds, just think how many if each had a bunch of young ones that survived. Must be a high percentage that don,t survive or you would be over run with birds. I guess turkey is on the menu for lots of critters.

15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

You bet ya, that's one of the reason's the PGC stocked Fishers here, they love turkey and can climb trees :eek:. There's a small hen that had 8-10 little ones in our woods this spring and they've stayed here all summer, they are fun to watch.
    A few yrs ago I almost stepped on a hen setting on half a dozen robin sized chicks. She did the broken wing crashing flopping thing while the chicks ran around our feet. She scared the crap outta me when she came up under my foot poop:poop:poop:

16. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Seems like the PGC doesn't really like the G all that much.:rolleyes:

Oppie likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

True that, they're all about the $$$$ now.

18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I saw him last night around midnight when we were coming come from dinner with the kids.
    He was laying 25 yds off the road in my neighbors field. I about flipped out an made Judy turn around an go back to be sure and it was, he jumped up and trotted back to the woods behind our house. No limping, stumbling or marks I could see on him. Now to persuade him to come in again....

Next week is mostly open for me and looks like a good time to start rattling an grunts. Last week first time I grunted a button buck came running to 10 ft or so from me before I even laid the grunt tube down.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sounds like a good chance of getting another crack at him. sounds exciting knowing he,s hanging in that area an didn,t leave the the country after a close call an may not be so lucky next time .

Oppie, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

My wife ask me how can you miss something so big so close :eek: ;). I've seen three decent bucks so far, one has been around at least three years maybe four, he's got a tall rack instead of wider.
    He's a sneaky one. They are feeding up big time at the moment but I think the next couple of weeks they'll be getting on their feet an traveling a lot more.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.