My 2017 season ----->

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by Oppie, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

My 2017 archery season has been open four hunting days (no Sunday hunting) and I can see Murphy has moved in for the season, whatever can go wrong will no doubt.
    I'll just update this thread with our further adventures and action photos :D.

Started day before season opened when my Rienhart 18-1 kept two of my 125g Griz-Tricks & brass inserts while leaving me with one griz trick or switch heads to 125 slick trks.
    I switched & swapped.
    Yesterday before I went out, took a few shots, had some wicked glare on the scope, got some great penetration though, 460gr arrow @ 50yds.

P1030033.JPG

Much better.

P1030034.JPG

Yesterday I decided to leave the blinds and just set under the hemlocks where the bucks have been showing off an pushing each other around, it's 15yds to the open field.

P1030045.JPG

Half an hour later, neighbor shows up, see the blinds on top of the field, decides to spread Pig Manure across the bottom of the field right in front of me, two passes later, I'm headed back to the blinds poop: gaging even step of he way :eek:. Saw two small bucks really late.

P1030036.JPG

2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lol! If things didn,t go wrong while getting ready for hunting or while hunting I would be disappointed . all that just makes the sweet smell of success that much sweeter when it comes :rolleyes::p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

True that! It's always an adventure when I go out, you never just know what will happen.

One of the worst things was five yrs ago when I hiked a half mile up hill to a super deer stand before sunrise.The sun came up it was beautiful. But then I hear a thumping in the distance that keeps getting closer until a Helicopter comes in an hovers and drops a Super-sack of seismic cable 30 yd behind me. Then the Nicaraguan ground crew up with machetes, I went home.They were like fleas on a dogs back that fall :eek: everywhere!

xcaliber likes this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Another guy who hunts the property that I do moved from his ladder stand to a blind. We were never in our stands at the same time, but I could see his stand from mine, maybe 70 yards away. With the logging, I decided to stay on the ground and make brush piles to hunt out of. Finished about a hour and a half of brushpile building on Tuesday, finally satisfied I could cover the road the deer often use. Turned around and saw an orange ribbon about 45 yards away. His blind was behind that, maybe 60-70 yards from my new hide. We BOTH moved up the hill about 60 yards from where we were last year.:rolleyes: Now I have to text the landowner to let him know I'm hunting, and find out if the other guy will be there so I know which spot to hunt.:rolleyes:

Oppie likes this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I hope you can get it worked out to both of your benefit. I do my best to avoid people :rolleyes:, even more so when I'm hunting.
    Most of the time nobody is around out here because I'm out on weekdays an skip Saturday's often when the working people are out. If my neighbor had known where I was he wouldn't spread manure in there but I decided to be sneaky. I saw 6 bucks there the night before, two of them are eligible for the wall.

When I pulled in here yesterday a Doe popped up in the ragweed 10 ft from me an stood there all doe eyed! Here's the view behind where I was last night, steep ole creek bank, apple trees an swamp on the other side.

P1030042.JPG

8ptbuk, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks like a piece of heaven :oops: I go to spots no one else hunts even if not as good just to get away from others. most times it,s better than my pick of spots :p that,s why I like river hunting by boat as they can,t wind you most times an so I can get where no man has gone before :p because it,s to steep to walk on an the deer roll down to you :D

FINN and jacol84 like this.
  7. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I need my love it button! :cool::p

8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I was rifle hunting with two neighbors many moons ago when a Huge doe trotted out and stopped, when I popped her she started tumbling down the hill and over the bank for a hundred ft or so, neighbor number one called me on the radio an said I've got to go to the barn, neighbor number two said I'll be down to help, if I can find you.....
    And that became a spot I won't ever take another deer at.

xcaliber likes this.
  9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Many moons ago I shot a fat doe in the mucky stuff on my in laws farm. Not only butt deep in muck, across the creek that was about 25' across. So I got all muddied up getting her to the waters edge, then went across and dragged a canoe out of the barn to get her across in. By the time this was all done, I was whoooooped! That doe was 189# dressed out, and I thought I was going to die that day too! I don't think I could pull that off by myself these days!:eek:

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

1980, we were hunting a mountain in Juniata County, PA. We basically hunted close to a mile from the truck, and 2 benches off the top of the mountain. Five of us went in, and shot 4 bucks. From 9:30 until after dark, we were dragging deer. My buddy's wife shot a small one late afternoon, just downhill from some really thick mountain laurel. I put that one over my shoulders (since it was dark now), and carried it to the main trail. Four dead deer in the back of the truck for an hour ride home. Bad headache and thought I would vomit for most of the ride home.poop: Ah, the stuff you do when you are young and dumb.;)

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Now I that have the 6x6 and a winch :D, If I can't get there, it's a good place to stay away from :D. I hunt a lot smarter these days :rolleyes:... and stay away from the bad drags.

xcaliber likes this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It's been to warm an breezy to get out the last few few days. I went to move a blind away from the Pig Poo yesterday an my neighbor had his big JD tractor an brush hog mowing the ragweed an brush so I decided to wait a few days and see what it looks like when he's done. He did mow all around my blind for me so that's a good thing, I think, maybe? The apples are dropping so we'll move to the corn fields soon but this 80 degree days and east wind has to stop.

13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

One cold Nov. morning during the rut a few yrs ago, camo fail, forgot my face mask :oops:

Hunting.jpg

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

When I see someone in a tree stand the first thing I see is face,hands in not covered. I hate head masks an use just hat ,neck band you pull up.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    xcaliber likes this.
  15. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Since I started covering my face, I have seen many more deer up close. I will not get off the ground without covering my face. I never was a big fan of the make up, but it does work well too.

jacol84 likes this.
  16. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Same thing here, Dan. In 2013, I shot a doe, but only after all 4 doe that came by looked up into the tree stand and spotted me. The biggest one would not leave until she made me move, which was a mistake on her part! The next week, I started hunting on the ground, and got a leafy camo mask and hood. Had several doe come in, look straight at me from 10 yards away, and didn't recognize a thing. Been wearing that combo ever since.:)

Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I use the mesh mask most of the time, just something to break up the white beard.

Mask.jpg

MI_Bowhunter and xcaliber like this.
  18. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That's all you need!;)

Oppie likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I usually just wear dark clothes in a blind nothing special. I leave my clothes outside in the pavilion most of the season an keep them clean, I don't wash them in any of the Blue detergents, just washing soda, Borax.
    I have learned to avoid making eye contact when deer get close even closing my eyes at times. Seems like soon as the pick out your eyes they go on alert then they've got to bust ya.

xcaliber likes this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Screwed up big tonight. I had a decent 8 pt come in right behind my blind, I looked up and there he was 20 ft away looking at me. After a few minutes of studying me he went for a apple & let me pick up my bow that was leaning on the blind. I held right right his shoulder, decided he was so close I better aim lower. When I shot he jump kicked and ran a hundred yds to the woods an went in. I got some hair and that's it, not one drop of blood anywhere even where he went into the woods and went thru tall weeds an briars.
    I'll head back over in the morning and walk about and see what I can find, but I think I just creased him.