MIddleton Limbs compatability question

Discussion in 'Middleton Crossbows' started by MI_Bowhunter, Sep 23, 2017.

1. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter New Member

I received the Matrix limbs from Excalibur. They look great, not sure how they can sell them so cheap as blems.

Hoping to find a few hours to see exactly what I need to do to make them fit and get it done.

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yep, good luck finding any blemish on them. Best deal going for us crafty guys.

jacol84 and MI_Bowhunter like this.
  3. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter New Member

OK, I got to work on it tonight and have the limbs fitted,...I think.

I put the risor in the vise and kept taking equal passes with a file on each side until the limb would fit into place, then I hit it with light sand paper to get rid of any burs or sharp edges.

The original limbs had a metal spacer and a foam looking pad under them, do I need to reuse both of those components?

Can I use the same string I had on the Middleton limbs?

I still need to finish clamping it down but wanted to make sure I am on the right track before I go any further.

Thanks

355SS_LimbPockets_001.jpg

355SS_LimbPockets_002.jpg

355SS_LimbPockets_003.jpg

355SS_LimbPockets_004.jpg

355SS_LimbPockets_005.jpg

355SS_LimbPockets_006.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yes sir, that looks like a fine fit. As for the metal spacer and a foam looking pad, limb liner, I feel you need a little something between the limbs an riser. Even a piece of plastic milk jug would work, my last one I used a piece of vinyl flooring cut & shaped. Have seen one liner done with deer skin. let it suck up some of the limb vibration.

MI_Bowhunter likes this.
  5. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter New Member

I think I may just leave it as it is (with the shim and pad in place) then and see how it works.

6. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter New Member

The Middleton string is too short, going to pick up a Matrix string and try that.

7. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter New Member

Excuse my basement floor, once I get the string installed and can get out in the daylight I'll get better pics

355SS_NewLimbs_001.jpg

355SS_NewLimbs_002.jpg

355SS_NewLimbs_003.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Nicely done! You are on the right track. Matrix string is needed. Due to more reflex in the riser (compared to a Matrix riser), the tip to tip length will be a little shorter than the standard Matrix, but the Matrix string can be twisted up a bit to get the right length. I would use shims under the limbs but I just use the standard plastic ones. Probably just use what you have. I don't think the Matrix limbs are as sensitive to it, but I lost 2 Middleton limbs to a loosened limb bolt (limbs split right down the neutral plane), so keep the bolts tight with locktite on them. Looks like a really nice crossbow. It should serve you well.:)

Spare limb fail.jpg

MI_Bowhunter likes this.
  9. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter New Member

Will the brace beight mark on the rail still be a good reference point?

Oppie likes this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

It should be fine. This is what the Patriot looks like. No brace line as the rail was cut down from a longer original. hybrid brace height.jpg

MI_Bowhunter likes this.
  11. robertyb

robertyb Member

I cut out shims for under my limbs out of a sheet of 1/16" rubber and it really took out a lot of vibration and made it quieter also.

MI_Bowhunter and Oppie like this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yes indeed. Inner tube rubber works well if you have any laying around.

I try to keep mine 1/4 - 3/8" off the string stops, like Jeff's mine the marks are gone.

MI_Bowhunter likes this.
  13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good job! I like the long grooves on that patriot riser ,as you can adj your string stops instead of having to cut the stops down like I do to get th brace height you want.

MI_Bowhunter likes this.
  14. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter New Member

This may be a good time to install the ADF as long as I am tearing if all apart.

jacol84 likes this.
  15. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Yep, good idea. Mine saved me once :oops:. Also, if you have the sniper trigger in your 355 SS, you may notice the lever drops to safe after you shoot a shot (mine does now, though it never did this with the Middleton limbs on it). My Guradian caught a potential dryfire, and also has "caught" the string a few times when my safety lever dropped to safe after the shot, and the trigger couldn't latch. I think it's fully seated now.;) Just FYI.

16. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter New Member

I have the sniper trigger. I picked up an ADF last year for my Phoenix for $19. It was in the clearance bin of the local gun shop that decided to no longer carry crossbows. Wish there had been two in the bin.

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Great idea.

18. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter New Member

Finished it. Shot a few times in the basement and functionally everything is good. Just need to run it through crony and adjust the scope.

2017-10-12 22.18.08.jpg 2017-10-12 22.17.25.jpg 2017-10-12 22.16.45.jpg 2017-10-12 22.16.03.jpg

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Congrats! Just like having a new bow now :D.

MI_Bowhunter likes this.
  20. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

One thing you can count on is your not going home from a hunt from limb failure . maybe a small splinter now an then that you can remove an keep on shooting :p

MI_Bowhunter likes this.