Making your own fletching

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by Masboy, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Anyone make there own? I been reading an watching videos an looks easy. I see all you do is split them at the seam in the middle ,cut them to length,put them in a clamp like a bitzenburger strait clamp or home made one an sand the quill part an cut the feathers in the shape you want. all I have is good tail feather fan an they say ok ,but stiff wings from Turkey,goose the best. looking forward to making some. just something to add my own personal touch to my equipment .

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    xcaliber likes this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I've made some pretty shabby fletching from turkey wing feathers when I made self bows from ash when I lived in the country. Made some decent shafts from multiflora rose spring growth. None of my stuff was much, and I was very inconsistent in shooting. I guess if I could have gotten within 5 yards of deer undected, like the Lenni Lenape, I could have killed one with my stuff. My hunting skills weren't quite up to the task.:oops:

I do remember, as a teenager, watching my dad and his friends at the archery club splitting and burning turkey feathers and fletching arrows. I was very impressed at the time. I can only guess what my wife would think of the smell of the burning feathers.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    xcaliber likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I have a pretty good eye for knowing what square is or making things even . not that I always do it an mess up at times but know what things should look like :p these factory fletching are along way from each being the same exact size at the quill part an know I can do a better job of that. I see no problem cutting the fletching pretty even by somekind of jig I will make . I have been wrong before but never admit it to the wife :rolleyes::p

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.