Making fletching

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Masboy, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Son got some tools an started making some fletching from his turkey feathers.he just sent me this
    image.png image.png

Jack Pine, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks like he'll make some pretty ones!:)

3. Bob Missouri

Bob Missouri Member

Some people claim that the best fletching jigs are made by https://bitzenburger.com/
    Based on the "end users" accuracy claims... this may be true.

4. Bob Missouri

Bob Missouri Member

https://bitzenburger.com/ are a German Company.
    Ironically, the company who makes some of the best archery fletching jigs are in a country where....
    … Archery hunting is forbidden by German national law.

So, those who make the best fletching jigs are Forbidden to enjoy the pleasure of hunting with arrows in their own country.

5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Nice. I still remember watching (and smelling) my dad and his friends burning feathers and refletching arrows at their archery club when I was a kid.

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Son says no burning with this one an works great doing a quailty job. I can,t wait to try it out an see how it works. I cut some by hand an they shot great. I think perfect made feathers are more for looks for the shooter :p

jacol84 likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I got to see this feather chopper in action ,what a great job it does . makes much better feathers than I been buying .son says the natural oil in the turkey feathers is more water proof than the ones you buy . I have quite a few turkey feathers so going to buy me a feather chopper. sure is great to be able to make your own fletching .

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Son showed me some longbow arrows he fletched with the turkey feathers he made, they look good
    image.png

jacol84 likes this.
  9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Yep, they look great!