Made a recurve string

Discussion in 'Compound, Recurve & Long Bows - Vertical Archery' started by Masboy, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Made one using Jacks measuring from tip to tip an adding 1 inch an came out a little long as I thought as I made larger loops with 25 wraps for the endloops on this 14 strand D97 string instead of 12-13 wraps on my 28 strand crossbow strings.had to take an end down an shorten it 1-1/2 inches an perfect. I always have a hard time when I take an end apart an have to comb out the twist from the string an harder to work with when retwisting as it don,t stick together too well.

I used .021 angel majestic for the center serving an fit perfect on my nock . kept breaking it an guess I,m use to heavy crossbow serving :p got er done an keep learning :p
    7B08E089-5A69-402C-8712-989FBE692D71_zpspvycaase.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Don and jacol84 like this.
  2. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

It's been many years but I seem to remember something about a recurve/longbow string being something like 4" to 6" shorter than the bow itself. You got it figured out and it looks good Frank. If your bow doesn't have reinforced tips, you won't want to shoot Dynaflight with it though.

Don likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Mine came with a Flemish fastflight an they said it,s ok. had to put a post in my bench an other end with an ajustable hook on my vice to stretch this long string an was not pretty but got the job done an served:p

My son an I been shooting instinctive with our bows an having a ball an really improving . we may be anti crossbow,compound hunters soon :p

4. B&R

B&R Member

I came from that side of the bow shooting i would only shoot recurves and long bows unfortunatly my body wont let me do that any more i remember going to the baltmore bowman shoots only recurves and long bows and self bow allowed they would stick an old compound on a target to shoot it had a lot of fun there shoot moveing targets running deer flying birds and 3d would go up there and shoot for 3 days and trade get supplys a lot of homemade leather goods ,custom bow makers and acrhery dealers i guess you will be going there soon use to be just a little north and west of baltmore you could look it up on the web should be very soon end of march or first of april

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m not that good or dedicated yet :p crossbows my pick in the bow line :D recurves just plain fun for me ! No Robin hoods,no buried arrows in the bag ,no arrow damage yet the way I shoot :p

6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks sweet! Nice job Frank.

7. B&R

B&R Member

i made one the outher day made for a 35# stemlar nice little bow made my loops 14 wraps for bottem and 16 wraps for the top came out great did not have to break it down came out right the first time

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sounds great! I get pretty consistant when I make a few but then when I don,t make any for awhile I forget a lot about lengths when making different length strings. I like Jacks system that gives me something to go by.

9. B&R

B&R Member

i am using jacks system also i just changed the overlap from 10 inchs to 8 inchs outher than that it the same and i use my string maker a set it for half of the string lenght plus 2inchs for loops and 16 inchs for overlap then cut on the post of my string jig then 7 wraps of each color it works great