Lube and Weather protection

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Munch007, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Season's shifting almost time to get out and start flingin arrows.
    Just going through prep and tuning on the bow. Wondering what you fellas do to protect the metal bits from rust and whatnot and what you use to keep your moving parts moving. I've always used stuff like Lloyds 3000 and Fluidfilm on the trucks with great results. Wondering if it's too gummy for things like the trigger mech and Guardian mount latch.

2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

A bit of WD40 on a rag, and a light wipe does the trick. Keep all metal surfaces dry after all outings.

Munch007 likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Like Dan said WD 40 has been my go too for inside ,outside on crossbows ,some say it gums up but I never had a problem with it.i use rem oil a lot now also. we had many browning trap guns an if you didn,t clean ,coat the chambers they would rust up quick.we used WD 40 in them an never a problem. old 870 never rusted in the chamber no matter if I cleaned it or not . so guess being good metal helps an needs less no matter what you use.

8ptbuk and Munch007 like this.
  4. Munch007

Munch007 Member

That's for sure, the good steel definitely seems to weather better.
    I marvel at the underside and frame of my 79 f100 every time I'm tinkering around with it. The frame is actually a 77ish and it will put to shame many that are decades younger. Which is why I bought it instead of paying 50k for pretty plastic and tinfoil on nice wheels

5. Munch007

Munch007 Member

20161116_171246.jpg this is my "Frankenstein" 79 f100 with a7.3l idi diesel from a 94 f350, a zf 5 trans, divorced t-case, built highboy style with 77 f250 4x4 Dana axles with 410s in the punkins. Box is hand crafted from 3/16" plate bed and 14gage for the walls, fenders are an 80s style, topper was a full size but it got chopped and narrowed to fit the shortbox. Its got bits and pieces of chevys and beam Central vacuums and a McClary furnace in it.
    It's a big powerful green lumbering monster made from this, that and other things .... "Frankenstein" ;)
    ... this is the part where you hear Johnny Winters "Frankenstein" playing ... at the proper volume of course ;) FB_IMG_1477572481825.jpg

Karoobow likes this.
  6. Munch007

Munch007 Member

edited_1478413350470.jpg lol, sry. ... but I love my ford ;)

Karoobow and xcaliber like this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Niceeeeeeeee truck ! I loved my older fords ,don,t know how I ended up driving rusty Chevys the last few years:confused: must be The Lyme disease affecting my brain :confused: doctors said it did :oops: just hope it don,t get any worse an I end up with a dodge :confused::p

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Munch007 likes this.
  8. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Thanx Mb. Ya she's a beaut, Ford could've stayed on this generation and still have the #1 best seller today and saved all that cash they spent on changing the lineup over the years.

Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Agreed, Nice truck man!

Munch007 likes this.