Lone Star XX75 2219's

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by Stalker, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Stalker

Stalker Member

Well The Talon nocks that came on them wont work with the Excal or my CP Sniper.But My Barnett loves them:D.

My Barnett is notorious for gouging the heck out of shafts and nocks at the back of the shafts. I figured out a long time ago what the cause was. The arrows sit high on the rail.The string does not hit the center of the nock. This makes the string want to ride up the bottom slope of a moon nock,which creates a lot of down force causing the grooves in the shafts and nocks.In years past I have modified moon nocks to be more C shaped than < shaped.It worked and stopped the grooves but was hard to get them equal for good groups. These talon nocks are just what the doctor ordered. I think Easton might have started making them at Barnetts request but am not sure.Then Barnett bought Blood Sport so it will be interesting to see if Easton keeps making them.

Any how it was windy as all get out today but I halfheartedly sighted one in a shot this group at 20.After I had weighed them with a 125gn head and shot one through the chrono. They hit pretty hard at 477 gns at 335fps:D 20180330_143937.jpg 20180330_144027.jpg 20180330_162933.jpg

2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Sounds like you're getting it figured out.:)

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

Oh I figured it out years ago lol! It just took Barnett and Easton a while. Maybe I should have patented my modified nocks for Barnetts:D I just wish they made these Talon nocks for .300 ID. I think they just have .304 and .297 for Easton carbons.At least I think the 2219's are .304

Oppie, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Fine shooting in the wind! my next arrows are going to be xx75 as I'm about tired of carbon splinters an I ruin quite a few . I like slugging aluminum arrows with carbon an then no splinters .i like to slug 2114,2117 with vertical arrows,makes some fine shoots,heavy killers.

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I think your pretty close, a .300 insert is a loose fit in them. I just hacked some 2219's down to 18" for Gobbler Stoppers :D, tubes weighed 13.8 grn per inch bare shaft, not bad at all!

xcaliber likes this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I never had any inserts other than the stock ones that fit good in my 2219. I put the same dia brass Inserts I use in about all my arrows in them but I had to coat them heavy with JB weld an turn them as I installed ,tinker with them a bit to get them to spin good.

I guess screws put in the back of the aluminum inserts works ok. I most time just cut a few inch piece of carbon arrow that fit snug an put it in the front . gave me some more foc depending on length of piece,made it stiffer an not bend as easy.

xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  7. Stalker

Stalker Member

That will work.I had problems with brass inserts wanting to shift and causing a wobble. I found 60gn inserts for 2219's I drilled the back of some out and added screws and glue for 75 gns 20180225_142842.jpg

jacol84, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks good ! I read of others doing that but never did the screw thing myself. I,m a stuffer slugger :p I just always thought I would rather have the extra weight spread out a bit an mabye not nose dive as much ?

9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Sounds like a good idea, better than being to loose an coming out.

10. Stalker

Stalker Member

After my long range shooting at my daughters the other day I decided to refletch a few of the Lone Stars after I removed the labels.The blue fades to the silver pretty nicely and looks pretty cool imo.

I spine indexed them,cut them from 20" down to 18-9/16" like the Gamegetters I've had so much accuracy with.Then installed the 60 gn inserts and put on AAE Max Stealth vanes. Their weighing right around 359-360 gns with the Talon nocks.

The AAE vanes are very stiff and added about 14 gns to the build over the GG's. I haven't shot them yet but suspect my accuracy woe's with them the other day might be from the talon nocks.

I did shoot 1 through the chrono and got 342fps with the Barnett.

I'll shoot these with my Barnett and see how they do.If they dont do well I'll switch out the nocks and see if they are the culprits 20180407_225738.jpg 20180407_225748.jpg

xcaliber, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks good! ready to see some dot killing here. I just never had real great luck with the 2219 . now seeing from your shooting with them maybe because they were made from my older 2219 30 inch vertical arrows that had been shot lots . lots were damaged an I picked out what I thought were the good ones an made crossbow arrow from them. I,m learning don,t blame arrows till you try some new ones. every size aluminum arrows I bought new shot great .

Stalker, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  12. Stalker

Stalker Member

Could have been the nocks too. I've had good arrows shoot like crap due to bad non concentric nocks. That may be the case with these if they dont shoot good now.

13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Look great! Hope they all fly great too.

Stalker likes this.
  14. Stalker

Stalker Member

Well the Talon nocks were the problem.I put in some junk Easton moons and managed some 1" groups at 30 yards. 20180414_184500.jpg 20180414_191657.jpg
    Today I made 6 more with some Fusion 2.1" and Duravane 2.3" The blue vanes dont match the shafts very well but maybe some red nocks will help:D. I'm just hoping they fly well. 20180415_205720.jpg

jacol84 likes this.
  15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks good! I gave my executioners ,zombies a good,cleaning ,squaring an looking over before I just fletched them the other day,I couldn,t believe how many had split ends I had to cut off. splits on tip ends an some on the nock ends.hitting something hard,loc-loads, high power bow that split plastic nocks before,I think all these things contributed to this damage. my next arrows will be aluminum,with some being slugged .

Stalker likes this.