Just Found Out!

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by xcaliber, May 10, 2018.

1. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Well, the apprentice secured a hunting lease for us just a few miles away from Notre Dame University. Place looks promising, and we're heading out Saturday to check it out with boots on the ground. I'm Stoked to say the least!

2. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Good luck to you Dan, I hope it works out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xcaliber likes this.
  3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Thanks Brian, place looks good, 125 acres with 30 acres of woods and another long stretch along a creek that stretches over 1/3 mile. We're committed so hoping for the best. Kid has been pretty accurate last few years on good spots!

Stalker and bbahunter like this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Big congrats, Dan. Seems like you struck gold twice. Land and apprentice. Hope it leads to a lot of good times.

xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  5. Stalker

Stalker Member

Congrats! Hope its great spot!

6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Thanks, looks pretty good. We kicked up 3 deer waking the property today in the rain, which turned out to be a good thing, saw a few turkey as well. It's a good hike from the parking area, but not too bad now with no crops in the field that we have to skirt on the way in. We're looking for some alternate entries, and might see if we can pay the neighboring farmer to allow us to park on the back of his property, so far that it is option one. We might ask the farmer if we can drive back, my truck will make it, but he'll have to leave 5-6 rows of corn, or beans out to create a lane. That might be too much money to do that, so option one is still the best option for now. Next weekend we will drive the surrounding areas looking for parking / access routes. We seen several rubs from last fall, and feel 2 out of the 3 that are going to hunt this land should see, and hopefully kill a nice buck, and 1 of us will get a decent buck, and all of us should get a doe. The main obstacle for now is bumping deer out on our entry. The only other way in from our parking spot is through a flooded creek which has seen a lot of rain this spring, and should subside to a level that would allow us a walk in through the water to the back of the woods on the south end. Later in the late summer we'll get trail cams out to see where they travel from, and maybe determine if this is best for afternoon hunting. All in all, looks pretty good for my cut of $600. annually. :cool:

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Stalker and jacol84 like this.