I need a solution - 6V solar source for the Moultrie Hog Light

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Hogs' started by TX_RDXguy, Feb 17, 2018.

1. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

Hogs are plentiful here in Texas and I like to xbow hunt these guys so we have these Moultrie Hog Lights on three feeders which works pretty well.

THUMB_100EK113_EK000196.JPG

Hog Light.jpg

We leave these lights on in the "Motion" mode so the hogs get use to them coming on at night. Doing that with all the traffic we get eats the hog light batteries in about two weeks.

I'm looking for 1-3 of these 6v Moultrie solar panel with internal battery. Moultrie's part number is MFA 12602. OR another solution.

MFA12602.jpg
    This panel seems to be the only solar panel that will work with their hog light. They have been out of stock since last fall and the ETA seems to slip month by month.

Their deluxe 6v solar panel will not work with the hog light nor will the 6V Wild Game Innovation solar panel. I have them both and although they do work with the Feeder motors with a rechargeable 6V battery, they don't with the hog light that has 4 C cell batteries.

So it seems I may be stuck needing the MFA 12602 unless someone has cracked this case with another solution.

2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

A 6v sla/agm battery would last much longer than than 4 C cells with a small solar charger set up. If the plug is a basic two wire plug your good to go with somthing like a solar electric fence unit maybe.

xcaliber likes this.
  3. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

The plug is a typical DC male coax in 5.5mm OD / 2.1mm ID. No issue finding those although Moultrie claimed they didn't know the dimensions.

The plug in the hog light is on a "break open" circuit and when you plug anything into it, the internal C cell source path drops off. I have not tried to wire a 6V dc battery directly to it to see if that works. If it did, I guess I could use the standard 6V solar panels to charge it and build a box for the rechargeable battery.

Oppie and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

You may be able to solder directly to the battery tabs without opening the case, just watch the plastic mounts. Lightly scratch them up with sand paper, flux an tin them first, flux & tin wires, tack em on try it. Even a 6v lantern battery would be better than the C cels. If the case has to have the C cells to operate you could add rechargeable C's to charge off the same solar cell. Most solar lawn lights operate @ 3 volts an run forever.

5. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

I just wired a 6V lantern battery directly to the hog light and it works. The AH rating of this type of alkaline battery compared to the alkaline C cell it runs off of is at least 1.5 times, so theoretically I could run this hog light off one lantern battery for 50% longer time.

So the next question is, can I use a rechargeable Lantern battery or alarm battery and wire the solar panels to them directly to trickle charge them? I think so but I have some checking to do.

6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Now your on the right track, it's all about the Ah ratings. The 6 volt sealed lead acid- alarm batteries, are made for that stuff at a better price.. The F1 terminal's will fit female spade connectors for 10-12ga wires. The sla batteries are good for 3-5 years usually.

https://www.batterymart.com/c-03-6-volt-sealed-lead-acid-batteries.html

7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

8. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

That's the path I'm working on Oppie. I've got a Moultrie 6v Deluxe solar panel and a Wild Game Innovations 6v panel as well.

Now I need to figure out a water tight container for the 6v battery then build a modular harness from the solar panel to the battery and battery to the light.

WGI6VP.jpg

Moul6VP.jpg

9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Pelican & otter box make some nice cases if you want something quick & easy a ammo box may fit them. Some of the pelicans have a vent already built in for temperature / pressure changes and you'll defiantly need to vent your case to allow a bit of battery gases & moisture to escape.
    Those hogs are going to be blinded by the light!

10. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

Thanks Oppie. Whatever battery container I come up needs to be affordable, smallish and I'd like it to mount to a feeder leg or the main feeder. Mounting the solar panels won't be an issue but finding the right small container for one rechargeable battery looks to be the challenge. It doesn't need to be any bigger than 4X4X6".

Oppie likes this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Check this sea horse 120 dry box, glue a quick release dove tail on a swivel mount :). I think I have a new one of those cases if that would work for you. I have a bunch of different size dry boxes, I'll check later an see whats close.
    More power is always good just keep the polarity right so you don't let the Magic Smoke out that makes them work :eek:.

http://www.seahorsecases.net/seahorse-se-120.html

12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

13. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

Those are some options, thanks!

Oppie likes this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Back in the 90's some of us got fed up with the crappy trailcams we had then and started rolling our own home-brew cams. Some of those guys were doing Ir led boards an drivers before Moultrie caught up, I managed to learn a few things from the really smart guys :).

15. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

I've been fighting battery life on My feeder and like You I need more battery life. Im seriously considering wiring two 6v rechargable lantern battetys in parallel so I can double the amp hours and still be putting 6v to the feeder. Moultrie actually makes a feeder like this but I don't want to spend the money to get it. Don't know if this would work for you with the solar units or not.

Oppie likes this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That should boost your battery life quite a bit. If you use a solar cell charger make sure it uses a reverse polarity protection plug or diode. Yea, 6 volts is 6 volt regardless of the battery, a deep cycle will work best in some area's due to the lack of sun.

8ptbuk likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  18. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

My Moultrie feeders are doing really well and I don't think I need a solar solution there. I'm in month 9 on all 4 of my feeders that have the Quick Lock system and battery life from one 6v alkaline battery is awesome. Each have 3 run times of 4-6 seconds and they all still show near 100% after 9 months of use.

Two 6v batteries would mean more use time and two should come close to doubling run time but so would a single rechargable battery with a small solar trickle charger. The value there is you only have to surface mount a small solar panel vs setting up a container for the two 6v batteries.

Are you using a Moultrie feeder motor or another brand? I ask because some of the larger case motors have more room under the cover and I have seen a YouTube video where a guy explains how to build an 8 D cell battery setup in a $5 Radio Shack battery box that fit inside his motor box. Might be another option.

19. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

I'm using a American Hunter Digital feeder, Wish I had went with a Moultrie ! Might switch over to them this year .

20. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I love reading this stuff, passing on knowledge, and helping one another is all about this forum.