Hunting squirrels

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Everything Else' started by Masboy, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,ve been so obsessed with deer hunting most of my life that I could not think of hunting anything else when deer season was in. That,s all about to change this year with some squirrel hunting with my crossbow . When I was a kid I loved my squirrel hunting an shooting fish with a bow. After 48 years of deer hunting I,m losing the urge or getting soft hearted an watching deer more than shooting then . Can,t sit still anymore or stay in a stand to long so think some squirrel hunting will be some great fun an relaxing hunting for me too enjoy once again.

2. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

I can relate to how you feel masboy , I think its us just starting to mellow out and realizing we don't have to kill something every time we go out .

3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Amen! There be days I'm out by myself, and have a few doe come through, look at them and say to myself, let them go, don't feel like dragging one out anyway!
    Squirrel hunting is so much easier after you deer hunt for a while, just sit down pretend you're deer hunting, you'll get all the squirrel you can take legally!;)

4. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I grew up with a very big family 5 sisters and 3 brothers food was tight my dad worked 2 jobs to help support us we would scape up enough money to buy a brick of 22s so we could go out and shoot squirrels my mom made a stew out of them that would knock your taste buds off.
    I remember one day mom was baby sitting the neighbors kids they stayed for supper yup squirrel stew she told the neighbor kids it was chicken if they knew what it was they would not eat it ,i laughed when thier mom came to pick them up she seen them eating the squirrel stew and blew a gasket it was so funny .
    I wish i knew what she did to make the stew taste so good i tried to make it a few times but it never came out like her stew.

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

My grandmother made the best squirrel dumplings an I sure miss her an her cooking! I love fried squirrel an plan on having some this year. I look at it like this I shoot about all year long testing arrows an just plain shooting at lots of different ranges getting to know my bow an where my arrows hit in all kind of conditions .

Only shot four arrows at deer in the last two years an killed two bucks an one doe. Have went a year before without shooting a arrow waiting for a nice buck an not a trophy buck but just a nice one an it never happened. Deer numbers are way down where I hunt an I don,t need alot of meat anymore .

So my plan is to hunt the river hills next to my home where there.s more deer. this is in PA an not MD where I mostly hunted. i,m going to make up a bunch of old arrows for squirrel an carry a broadhead or two an get some shooting in for a change at squirrels then about last light I will be deer hunting an more so around the rut.

6. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Sounds Like a good time masboy ! Talking about eating , I've seen grandma catch a possum and keep it in a cage feeding it for a few weeks and then she'd cook him up and eat him ! I'd like to try to get my kids to eat it ! Lol

7. bigrak

bigrak Member

Possum here in the city smell bad . They are all over the place at night eating garbage. :eek:

No thank you.

8. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Lol ! They are nasty !

9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I used to work with a guy that could cook raccoon like a chef! If you did not know it was coon, you would eat it up! My mother in law could cook a shoe, no joke! She passed a lot of that on to my wife, I eat good round here!

10. bigrak

bigrak Member

Do you eat stuff like shoes now too? :eek::D

11. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Nope, gave them up for Lent! :D

12. bowhunterx75

bowhunterx75 New Member

when I was younger me and my buddy would go out with our .22s and shoot squirrels all week cut off the tails and bring in a bag full of them to a local guy who used to tie flys . we would get $.10 a tail and get a hand full of flys to go fishing with it was great. miss those days...