How do you rate yourself as a hunter excellent,good,fair,poor an why

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Everything Else' started by Masboy, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I would say fair for me an have been hunting since 12 years old an now 60 an a fairly knowledgeable hunter but don,t always apply what I have learned or make good deccisions at times anymore. Lots of deer under my belt from bows an everything else but that does not make me a great hunter . I take pride in my equipment an my shooting no matter what i,m shooting to get the best out of it for accuracy . never was what you would call a great hunter but sure went down hill as I get older in my thinking an judgement. I do a lot more watching than shooting anymore ? getting old I guess lol!

See4miles and OldschoolBH like this.
  2. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

I'm like masboy a lot , I've been hunting 40 hard years and have learned a lot but don't always apply it . I have gotten some what lazy in the scouting department . lol ! I hunt around food plots , cut corn , bean fields . love tuning on my equipment ! As far as my rating ! A man can't bear witness on his self !

See4miles and jacol84 like this.
  3. 12 Ring

12 Ring Member

Well I will be 60 next month myself but I do feel like I am getting better every year (I know I'm getting better looking) I seem to take my time a lot more and love walking in the woods an looking at everything. Time will tell as I am leaving New England and moving to new territories in Ga and will be starting from scratch. But I would put myself in the good category. Not Excellent by any means and there is always room for improvement.

4. Yarak

Yarak New Member

I am 63 years old. I think I'm getting better every year, and learn something new every time I go out. My problem is patience. I normally spend all day in the woods and that gives you a lot of time to out think yourself. So, I can't sit still for longer than a few hours, at a time, before I move. I would say I am a fair hunter, but I am persistent.

5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I would like to think I'm good. It takes a while to learn whitetail hunting, and i have been fortunate enough to have taught 4 other people how to deer hunt, and all of them scored their first year hunting. Two were with vertical bows, and one of them was only 14 years old. Also, I have been able to go on new properties the last couple years, and take a decent buck, no monsters, but still over 3 years old. I used to know a hunter that would qualify as excellent, Charlie, my mentor who is no longer with us. I'm 53 very soon, and it took a while to know where to hunt, how to hunt, when to call, rattle, etc. I too learn something new every time I go out, and starting passing on smaller bucks 5 years ago, it has paid of a bit, and it is easier after you punch a doe tag early in the season, it becomes more intense for me. I hope to get a booner some day without having to pay to shoot one on a paid hunt.

Razor cut likes this.
  6. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Here's a few of my bucks. IMG_20140213_150201802.jpg IMG_20140213_150214793.jpg

Don, See4miles, OldschoolBH and 3 others like this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Niceeeeeee!

8. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I will be 68 this coming may i have been hunting since i was 14 when i shot my first buck i dont say i am the best deer hunter .
    I love hunting with a bow more then with a gun its more rewarding to shoot a deer with the bow weather its a crossbow or a compound .
    I hunt from the ground build my own blinds from whats around me .
    I would rate myself as a good hunter i hunt hard every year and its been many years since i got skunked my average year is five deer this year was not good i got only two it was a tough year with no acorns in the woods that i hunt so the deer moved to another area only passed through during the night to get a mouth full of clover.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    See4miles and Razor cut like this.
  9. georgiaboy

georgiaboy Member

If you would have asked me that a few years ago i would have said good...but when i put the guns down and picked up the crossbow only boy did i get a surprise!!
    I will say that bow hunting only & hunting public land has made me a better hunter.
    I would say fair, but i can hold my own.

Razor cut likes this.
  10. sruffer1

sruffer1 Member

i would say fair just turned 73 a couple weeks ago i hunt almost every day from sept to dec mostly afternoons still run a full time business (taxidermy) hunting some with a gille suite tons of fun its like learning things all over again. ground hunting is new to me. been in trees all my life.

See4miles, Razor cut and bbahunter like this.
  11. After many years hunting the ground I have been finding myself in trees the last couple of years. I participated in a controlled hunt that required the use of tree stands a few years ago and I bought a Summit Goliath. The Goliath is so comfortable I still can't believe it. I love sitting in that stand. I wish I had bought it years ago.

I would say fair for me has well. For the first time that I can remember I went empty handed.

Bob

12. XBowAdmin

XBowAdmin <- Brad -> C/P Staff

I am going with poor. Last year was my first year back on the hunt in 2 decades (for various reasons). I never stopped scouting and hiking though. The area I hunted last season is tough, ever year. Put 200 hours in the pursuit, with nothing to show. All good, as it was still awesome. Took one shot during shotgun season and missed at 75 yards (and I can tear a bullseye out at 100 at the range, offhand). Deer fever bit me on that one. Reality is I am likely a fair hunter, as I know the game well, put in the time, and always try to improve. Have a bunch of tactic switch occurring this year on a few spots, and more places to explore this summer. I spent most time in the trees and bought another 4 stands last fall. Need to have options for wind, and to minimize use.

See4miles and Razor cut like this.
  13. CaptainEW

CaptainEW Member

Will be 66 in April, have been a bow hunter for 53 years. Coming from a long line of gun hunters, my family thought I was a brick just shy of a load hunting deer with a handful of sticks, especially with all my guns sitting in the vault. But I love bow hunting and always have, hunting with crossbows the last 17 years has allowed me to continue bow hunting.The first thing that I have learned is that there is no instant gratification with bow hunting. It's a long term commitment of practice, learning, and skill development. I have no tolerance, patience, or compassion for a person that stops at WalMart in the morning buys a crossbow and goes out deer hunting that same afternoon shooting up the woods. Slobs pull the trigger and hope, a real hunter waits for his shot and makes a clean shot every time or the animal walks.

With a crossbow me and my equipment are not ready until I can shoot dimes consistently out to 40 yards from either side - right and left handed, as I have taken nearly as many animals from my weak side as my strong side. As many times this ability results in minimal detectable moves from a tree stand. All of my practice is with arrows and broad heads that I will be using for actual hunting, all practice simulates hunting shot presentations, field tips are used only for initial sight ins to get my bow on paper, if I have changed strings and cables, or the bow is new, or a new scope.

I have honed my hunting shot making skills to a fine edge, shooting an animal up close and personal, is completely different than shooting paper and good shots are those made with strict shooting mechanics- holding on a small spot on the animal's heart, face welded to the stock, shooting from the arrow leaving the rail to the entrance wound, through the animal to the ground---every time. I make the shot in my mind long before I pull the trigger as the animal approaches to my planed area of impact.

But IMO, the most important skill is shot selection and shot discipline skills---WHAT'S a shot and WHAT'S NOT and quite simply, I will not rush a shot (a rushed shot is a poor shot), I wait for MY SHOT, not the next guys shot, or another persons shot, but MY SHOT. My shot is a clean clear open shooting lane with zero potential point of arrow flight interferrance, a relaxed animal, presentation at an angle that allows the greatest arrow travel thru the vital area of the animal, complete exposure of the animals heart, reasonable wind conditions, and within my maximum range.

I simply will not take a shot that I have the slightest doubt that the presentation will allow me to put the animal down with a quick, clean kill every time or the animal walks, period--- its size, number of points, rack size are meaningless. I owe this to myself, the animal, and my brother bow hunters. the honing and developement of these skills have made me the hunter that I could only admire as a younger man, but still try to learn all I can to improve my skills even more.

Sorry for the wind folks, but no short answer to this question.

OldschoolBH, Razor cut and 8ptbuk like this.
  14. robertyb

robertyb Member

I would say good. I am 65 years old and have been shooting bows since I was 7. I have bow hunted and rifle hunted here in GA since they opened a deer season when I was a teenager (15 I think). I pass up about 50-60 deer for each I shoot now days. I am a meat hunter for does only and only take 2 per year as that is all I can use. Bucks go free unless they are at least 4 1/2 YO 8 point out past ears or better or 3 1/2 YO culls (only shot 1 cull).

Don, Razor cut and 8ptbuk like this.
  15. Joe

Joe Active Member

AFTER READING THIS POST YOU GUYS..............OMG :eek::eek::eek::p

OVER THE HILL.jpg ...............Joe

16. CaptainEW

CaptainEW Member

Joe that's telling another skunk that it stinks, son!

Masboy
    Watching more and shooting less maybe just from getting older---- but is also developing a deep respect for the animal. I know I have a deep admiration for the animals I hunt. White tails over 4 1/2 years old are pretty darned intelligent animals, they didnt get that old from being stupid and the best part of any hunt is not shooting them but matching wits and getting them in close while being completely undetected. It's their place, we are merely visitors blessed with the opportunity IMO I have been blessed whenever I get the opportunity to see these animals up close and personal.

Granted during rut, young bucks stumble around in the woods like the Town Drunk Saturday night on Main Street, taking one of these animals during rut, is not skill, it's just being there when they stumble or stagger by. During this time I would much rather take a 5 year old doe.

I have worked my tail off to get into a position of getting them in close and at a perfect range and angle for a perfect shot and you know immediately this is the dominant buck--------he's covered with scars from many a battle with young bucks and sent them off in pain. He passes through the woods, without a sound, constantly raising his head and stopping regularly to listen and wind the breeze, his moves are very deliberate and well executed.

I have had many of these old guys within 10 yards before only to wave them off and never shoot, purely out of the admiration and respect for that animal. To me that's a real hunt, pulling the trigger or the harvest is a small part of the experience. The ability and self discipline to let them walk sometimes, is the difference between a good hunter and a great hunter, but that's JMO.

See4miles, OldschoolBH and Joe like this.
  17. Joe

Joe Active Member

" Joe that's telling another skunk that it stinks, son! " Dang.......... Walking the plank again...........:rolleyes: .....will I ever learn :D

Joe

18. Long Gone

Long Gone Active Member

Average meat hunter @ this end... Manage to fill the freezer & pantry every year with grouse, pheasant, geese, cottontail, bear, whitetail and moose. :)

19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s what I call enjoying the hunt! I use to keep all my bragging size fish an bring them home for show an tell but now find I let them go an swim away . do snap a picture at times an
    no fish to clean after a long night so alls good :p

Don likes this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yea buddy! I hunt deer & turkey quite a bit but, I don't hunt as hard as I used to. So guess I'm what ya call a "casual " hunter.
    Love to shoot and try to get trigger time every week with something.
    Most of my hunting is outta blinds nowadays, sitting in the woods beats setting on the couch anyday.