He was so close, I could a got him with the pointed stick!

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Turkeys' started by Munch007, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Got a fresh snow last night. Was out with the dog today and came across a bed down spot the deer used last night.
    Turkeys had come in and raked the crap out of it 20190331_152832.jpg 20190331_153019.jpg 20190331_152924.jpg followed this track out of the mess
    20190331_153825.jpg it was only from a few hrs ago. We tracked it for about 10min and at a spot down by the creek, the dog spooked something about 3foot from us.
    20190331_155106.jpg there was a nice sized Jake in that melted spot not 5seconds ago!
    20190331_155128.jpg he booked it that way across the creek
    Sounded like a big Heuey helicopter as he crashed through the woods in his "flight" ;)

bbahunter likes this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Great pictures. My dog was having a fit a few days ago, when I looked to see what his problem was there was a Jake wandering around the front lawn :D. Dog didn't like that one bit.

Munch007 likes this.
  3. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Lol, they take the "guard" part of guard dog pretty serious, Jakes, the mailman, a little bit of paper blowing across the yard it don't matter ...
    Bark,Bark,Bark!! ;)

4. Munch007

Munch007 Member

It was amazing to get that close!
    Never realized how much their feathers resemble "tree bark" .
    Liko and I never saw him until he moved. He was hunkered down in the nook the roots and base of the trunk of the fallen tree made on the ground.
    The dog searching with his nose went past the spot a couple of steps and then turned back. It was then that I noticed part of tree right beside me "moved"
    And ... Boom! off he went

Oppie likes this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

When I was a kid we didn,t have turkeys around here that I know of or ever seen one. heard all these stories about how fast they could run,fly up off the ground from hunters that went to the mountains hunting them. I figured it was just bull shit that the old timers tell sitting around drinking beer,playing cards.i always wondered how a fat old turkey could come up off the ground thru the trees ,under brush with any speed :rolleyes:

I found out different when I went deer hunting in the mountains with some friends . I seen them run so fast I could hardly see them ,let alone get a shot at a running one:eek: then one flew up next to me giving me a Birdseye view:oops: looked like it was shot out of a cannon ,with small saplings just a floping back an fourth as that turkey went thru them like they weren't there:eek: I had a new respect for turkeys,old timers stories :p

Munch007 likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Same here, I was 13-14 yrs old before I ever saw a wild turkey, Now they are like fleas on a dogs back around here, everywhere :p.
    They are one the very few PGC successful stocking programs in Pa.

Munch007 likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I guess someone had some knowledge back at onetime. just a shame how they run things now an what there thinking is.i would like to see a pheasant ,quail ,rabbit come back ,find the reason an take care of it ,if pesticides,Hawks or whatever . wouldn,t feel bad paying if there doing something beside depleting our deer herd raising pet birds ,put an take trout for the money .seem like there trying to run it like a business an not game management,restoration of our game animals. they like to protect all the birds ,cridders that pray on our game like there more important. kind of like protecting the poachers that pray on our deer .

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Oppie likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I suspect that's a nation wide problem, it's all about the $$$.

9. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Truth^ :(
    International I'm afraid

Oppie likes this.
  10. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

I think the answer to not having as many rabbits, pheasant,quail is: coyotes.
    They kill alot of those animals.

xcaliber likes this.
  11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

We have very few around here . I hear all kinds of things like pesticides ,lack of habitat , many hawks,foxes .we were loaded with small game as I grew up hunting it,then everything seemed to just dissapear . foxes we always had ,but we have many more Hawks now than back then,pesticides were about unheard of when I worked on farms as a kid. we have habitat so I don,t believe that one.i would have to go with the pesticides if I had to guess as most eat out of those sprayed fields?

12. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Not to argue with you Frank, but iam willing to bet, there are alot more yotes around than you think? I could be wrong though. ;)

Oppie likes this.
  13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Could be so now,but back when all the game disappeared, never heard of a coyote around here . my grandfather had many dogs an friends that were big coon hunter years ago an never said they ever seen a yote back then.

Oppie likes this.
  14. Munch007

Munch007 Member

What ever the real reason, you can bet "we" had our hands on the strings that caused this. Either through chemicals or consuming the natural environment for civilization. We are changing things. :(

Oppie likes this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

When I was much younger there wasn't any yotes around here either, now they're everywhere around here. I hear em yipping an yapping some nights from inside the house, that means they are to close. They are in direct competition with our red fox for food an den sites.
    They move like ghost and disappear in a heartbeat, last one I saw was in my back lawn. I see them sometimes in spring gobbler season when I'm out at daybreak sounding like a lost lonely hen bird, they've come in to see whats up.

Munch007 likes this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

No doubt in my mind. Modern farming practices just aren't favorable to wildlife. With bigger equipment the hedge rows were removed, brush lots were cleared for more crops, fertilizers, weed killers, it's a cascade effect where the bugs & little critters go first.
    But then again I have Hawks, eagles, red fox, fishers, bobcats, coyotes and black bears in my area, Bunny's don't stand a chance :eek:.

Munch007 likes this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,ve heard about dissapearing habitat ,around here when game started dissapearing we had plenty an things changed very little far as habitat.as a kid I use to wake up hearing quail an imitating them . I would hear pheasants cackling ,see many hen birds with little red headed chicks following them. couldn't sleep the night before small game came in ,just like deer season.that,s why I think mabye pesticides ?as I never seen anything sprayed on the fields as I worked on farms as a kid .

Oppie and Munch007 like this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

You may be right, as a child of the 60's I remember all to well what DDT spary's did to the birds an wildlife. House cats are really hard on bunny's to.
    I have a couple acre's of brush an berry bushes I just leave alone for the bunny's & birds. I can't walk through it but the fox seem to do alright, there's always a couple around here and I leave them alone to :).

19. Munch007

Munch007 Member

When I was a kid growing up
    (way back when the Dead Sea wasn't even sick yet) very rarely did you even hear about wildlife in the cities. Now it's an everyday thing. Deer, coons, skunks, Fox, creating issues within the city. Things like possums or coyotes were creatures from distant places and only seen on the TV. We've even had bigger stuff, black bears and moose visit the city, they're showing up because their natural habitat is disappearing.
    And the worst thing about chemicals is that no localized activity is needed for your area to experience problems with the flora and fauna. But sure enough, we're changing our planet, and not in a good way I'm afraid.

Oppie likes this.