Guess what ol' Jack will be doing for the next little while.....

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Jack Pine, May 17, 2018 at 6:47 PM.

1. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Splitting logs?

Jack Pine and Oppie like this.
  3. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

No Dan, he is fletching them up for his micro 355 , :eek::D:p

Jack Pine, xcaliber, Oppie and 2 others like this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

ROTFLMAO! Good one Brian. Got my Friday off to a good start.:D

Looks like you are in for a heap of work, Cal. I used to heat our first house with wood, then the twins came along and had allergies out the wazoo. No more wood stove.:( No doubt it would hurt a lot more to prep wood these days. Might have to break down and buy a log splitter.;)

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 7:03 AM
    Stalker, xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  5. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Hey, it worked for Abe Lincoln, splitting rails was a prerequisite for being Prez!!

xcaliber likes this.
  6. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Not enough need for a splitter to own one, almost all of them will go right in our outside furnace. It will take a log about 12" diameter and 25" long. I just cut them all to stove length, and split the big ones with a maul as needed. Not bad at all after they dry out all summer and fall.

xcaliber, jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  7. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

LOL wait til you see the broadhead I use!

8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I would think the outdoor furnace would be good in many ways. I've heard they do take a lot more wood to stay warm than a stove inside the house.

9. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

That might be true with the hot water type of outdoor furnace, but mine is a thermostatically-controlled forced air unit, so it's much more efficient. It doesn't have to heat water that in turn heats the pex and air in the house. Mine blows hot air directly inside the hot air ducts. Our little cabin isn't very big, but I only use 3 to 5 cords a year, depending upon the severity of the winter, of course. I bought this 5 cords for $425 and is more than I need for the whole heating year [Oct-mid May up here]. Nice to have your year's heating paid for in advance.

10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Good to hear, Cal. :) One guy I know says his neighbor goes through 10-12 cords a year, and that's just eastern PA.:rolleyes: