Got snakeheads

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

son just called an gave me this information about the coniwingo dam fish lift ,they lift fish up an transport them to above the dam where I live along the coniwingo reservoir.last year they had a couple in the lift trap an this year 81 snakeheads .we just got flathead catfish,rustic crayfish not long ago .in this country we don,t care who,what you are or where your from ,we welcome all :eek::p I should be a Democrat speech writer:rolleyes::p

Jack Pine and Oppie like this.
  2. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I think there might be snakeheads here in the great lakes now. Haven't fished for years so I haven't caught any. I hate all the invasive varmints showing up here, even carp came from China. Can't even imagine what fishing and water quality would be like without all the crap species we have now.

3. satx78247

satx78247 New Member

Masboy; Jack Pine,

At least snakeheads are GREAT eating & they are FAR from the Franken-fish that the hysterical media "talking heads" claim that they are.
    (Chinese people released them into MD/VA "private waters" to catch/eat but a flood released the snakeheads into public waters & they spread from there.)

4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The snakeheads are supposed to be good eating?? I saw a local show a few weeks ago they were talking about them, That's about he only good thing they had to say about them.

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I have no problem with them as the flathead catfish are on the bowfishing list here,guess the snakeheads will be also .my bowfishing crossbow will like them:p

Oppie likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Fo sure! They seem to get a pretty decent size from what they were saying.

7. satx78247

satx78247 New Member

Oppie,

Snakeheads ARE really good eating, will readily hit both top-water & diving artificial lures; they are hard fighters on "bass weight" tackle, too. - In their native Asian countries, the GREAT SNAKEHEAD often reaches 15-20 pounds.
    Btw, as an "invasive species", there is NO limit on how many snakeheads that a fisherman can take/possess/dress/eat anywhere in the USA.

May I remind every member that MOST of the popular freshwater trout species were also "introduced" & "invasive species" in the USA??

yours, tex

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Oppie likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Interesting, it'll be a couple years before they get this far up the Susquehanna river but they will get here for sure.
    According to wikipedia:
    National Geographic Channel reported the "northern snakehead reaches sexual maturity by age two or three. Each spawning-age female can release up to 15,000 eggs at once. Snakeheads can mate as often as five times a year. This means in just two years, a single female can release up to 150,000 eggs."

9. satx78247

satx78247 New Member

Oppie,

IF the snakehead fry survival rate is like most other freshwater fish, about 1% of them will live to sexual maturity.

Instead of listening to the hysterical press "talking heads", I suggest that you NOT get too worked up over snakeheads, regardless of where they may migrate over time. Instead, catch/kill/eat them.
    (Fyi, there are LOTS of great Thai, Vietnamese, Laotian & other Asian recipes available on the Internet for snakeheads & cooked in any number of ways. = MY favorite is grilled over a charcoal fire, after being dredged in Asian spices.)

yours, tex

Oppie likes this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yes indeed can't stop them now, just have to make the best it.

satx78247 likes this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member