Got a "backup" bow last week, vertical is a new world

Discussion in 'Compound, Recurve & Long Bows - Vertical Archery' started by City Rat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. City Rat

City Rat Member

So a few weeks ago when my Carbon Express Supercoil went down with a busted limb, I had to send it in for factory service. i ended up spending three weeks without a bow. I practice daily with my xbow so I was having serious withdrawl. The owner at my LAS suggested that I get a backup bow, even going so far as stopping business on a busy Saturday morning and calling for a show of hands among everyone, how many had a a back-up, everyone but me, lol. Fast forward a few weeks and my Supercoil is back in service and shooting fine but I still have a worry that what would I do if something else happened to it during the season. So I hunkered down and went for Mission Hype DT. What a great bow but man there are so many variables that affect getting accurate hits, stance, shoulders, wrist position, grip...etc. I'm practicing with it daily and am a decent shot with it at 20yards but no where near ready to hunt it until I can tighten the groups,keep them reliably in the 8,9,10 rings out to 30 yards or so. All that said it will be challenge to harvest anything that can see, hunting from the ground, with all the movement you need to do to draw and shoot. I guess that I'll be inside of my ground blind or up in somebodies tree stand. Till then practice, practice practice.

2. bunyip slayer

bunyip slayer Active Member

Practice is the key!

glassman_48 likes this.
  3. Jackel

Jackel Member

Show us some picks..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bighammer likes this.
  4. City Rat

City Rat Member

Here you go if it will post

Bighammer likes this.
  5. Jackel

Jackel Member

If you get the tappa talk app it makes it easier to post photos.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Practice is the key, and remember to work on only one thing at a time! Start with the stance, very important. If you make two, or three changes to cure one thing, you will not know which one provided the best result, trust me on this one!;)

glassman_48 and Jackel like this.
  7. CaptainEW

CaptainEW Member

Been a bow hunter for 55 years, last 20 with crossbows, all the rest were verticals. Loved the old recurves and even compounds but playing cops and robbers during my youth took its toll on the body, shoulder and back nearly took me out of the bow hunting game all together.

Agree with the above ----practice, practice, and practice some more. It's all about shot placement!

glassman_48 and Jackel like this.