Gobbler Stoppers.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by Oppie, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I decide this year I'm going to use some cheap arrows for gobblers due to my slim arrow recovery rate on turkeys, which currently stands at a solid Zero :p. So I dug out some really old Game Getter II shafts and cut them down to 18", added a 80 gr brass insert, flat plastic nocks, and some odd Blazer X2 vanes I had, found some old 100 gr Rage 2" heads for the business end. They sure are ugly nasty looking but we'll see how they fly this week. If nothing else they are Cheap!!

P1220766 (3).JPG

P1220765 (2).JPG

P1220762 (2).JPG

2. Stalker

Stalker Member

I'd say if their straight and those inserts fit good they will fly good:D

3. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Go get em' Oppie. ;)

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  4. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Oppie, what is the .ID on the 2219 ?

Oppie likes this.
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Brian, I just got some Omnis for 2219 and I think they stated .305.

xcaliber, Oppie and bbahunter like this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lookin good ! I like the way the rage side back to open.

xcaliber likes this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I only need them to fly decent for 25 yrds or so, after that they are history :D. I've learned that turkey's don't slow down arrows very much and they can take a hit and keep on running.
    The inserts were very loose, most likely going to pop right out first time they hit the rienheart foam or wobble like my drunk uncle at Happy hour :D.
    If they are to bad I also found some bare Laser II shafts :p:p:p that may be next -------->

xcaliber likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I'm getting 304 -305 id on mine. The OG inserts are alum, 304 od, 30 grains.
    I tried them today and had some technical issues with my dry fire string catcher being a bit snug on the thicker arrows and it was giving me some big difference in arrow speeds, like 30fps between arrows. Got that fixed, trying again tomorrow :D.

xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Got a slight break from the howling wind and snow flakes going sideways across the back yard so I tried them out again today.
    I was shooting into the wind but was still getting around 328 fps with the 450 gr GGII arrows. Was hoping for a little bit more but that's still enough kinetic energy for gobblers with those 2" heads.
    Also got the Bushnell xlt setup an sighted @ 25 yds, shes nice an clear & bright so far, not a fan of the 1/4 moa @ 100yd click adjustment, would be better set 1/4" @ 50yds, but that's not a unusual adjustment for most scopes.
    Happy-Happy with this setup for gobblers :p:p.

P1220770 (2).JPG

P1220773.JPG

P1220773.JPG

P1220774.JPG

P1220776 (2).JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s a short looking rig an I like that! if that setup don,t kill your turkeys ,I wouldn,t want to meet up with one of them:p

jacol84, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  11. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks pretty good Bruce, good luck man!

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  12. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Yeah, that does look short, whats it measure from stirrup to the buttstock Oppie?

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Shes a sweet shooter for her size. I think shooting into the 20mph head winds slowed her down some today.

P1220750.JPG

xcaliber likes this.
  14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Nice looking rig, Bruce. I'd add that's probably enough KE for moose.:D

xcaliber, Oppie and bbahunter like this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Total length is 34", with a 13" stroke on a Vortex stock, I love it :D.

jacol84, xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  16. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Very nice, i hope you bag a nice fat gobbler with it.

jacol84, Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I saw around 20 or more in my neighbor's field last week so they're out there, I just need to be out there and lucky once. I haven't heard any gobbling yet but it's still pretty early for my area, maybe next week when it warms up. Season doesn't open until the 28th here in Pa.

xcaliber likes this.
  18. Stalker

Stalker Member

Lookin good! Good luck!

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Never shot a turkey with a crossbow , But I imagine you can kiss that arrow goodby .

xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  20. Stalker

Stalker Member

I've got a buddy that kills quiet a few with his xbows.He uses aluminum arrows.He says he usually finds them about 40 yards past the bird. In the tall grass with a metal detector.

Oppie and xcaliber like this.