Fishing unreal today

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Nice fish!

2. FINN

FINN Member

Those native Brookies are quite possibly the most beautiful fish while in spawning colors. And you won't find another fish that tastes the same. Yummy is right, lol. I caught this 19" Coaster Brook Trout on Lake Superior this spring. My first Coaster (which is a Brookie that comes out of tributaries and stays out in lake). c8329a4b68f0857402db60705b7f6c2e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Wow! I use to fish lots for the native Brookies in our small isolated river hill streams as a kid an still catch them now an then. pretty fish but protected around here an the only trout I will fish for .

4. FINN

FINN Member

When I was a kid limit was 10 per day. Now it is 5. Still lots of places up here to get them but nothing like when I was young. Beavers screwed up all feeder Creeks, warmed up water in many of rivers in last 30+ yrs.
    If I take two limits/year that's lots for me. Usually bring some to Mom since pops died.

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Out again yesterday an some of the best fishing I ever had . some walleye every trip now fishing the west shoreline in the shade ,then to the west shore for smallies ,never had smallie fishing like this with so many big fish coming on my rig. yesterday 4 doubles in a row an one of them most times a big fish . I had to go to my Shimano high gear ratio T14 bait casters to get them in from the strong current.

Can,t wait for the water to cool some as it,s still in the mid 70s up north in the fast water an around 80 south in the reservoir,90 at the warm water discharge that warmed up from 85 a week ago .great fishing ahead as the fall temps get here an the fish go on the feed. heading back today for another round in the heat :oops::p

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Might better go fishing than archery hunting for the next month until it cools off.

jacol84 likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s sure a good ideal as the boys don,t even think much about it in this heat. hunting ,hot weather don,t go together for me an remember sitting along a chopped corn field dove hunting as a kid doing some serious sweating :confused:

jacol84 likes this.
  8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

You guys are getting some great fishing in! Supposed to be cooler by Saturday's opener, so I'll be out for at least a couple hours in the morning, looking over all the cut timber;).

Finn, that's a heck of a brookie. I figured I'd never catch one that big, so I made a wood carving of one many years ago. Same size.

9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Hope to get my wife out Sat. by a corn field but I still need to setup her blind, just to hot for me it hit 96 here today. Might better go fishin....

10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I think yesterday was 5 days strait of fishing from around lunch time till dark an after:confused: so warm yesterday again but we caught some nice smallies early an hit the shade an didn't care about fish an spent the evening in shady less productive water just for the shade. about fished out an not even thinking of hunting or even getting a license at this time.mabye around the end of oct I will get it in gear an spend some time in the woods ? Good luck an waiting for some deer pictures .

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Been in the 90's all week here an I caught a nasty cold, been miserable all week. I did manage to shoot three arrows yesterday just before dark. I think I've finally settled on my setup and plan to tweak it today, got my hunting clothes out yesterday, got to setup up a blind a today an trim some brush out. Nothing like waiting to the last minute but hey I do have my license's, I have a arms length of permits folded up ready to go! I even remember where I put them :rolleyes:

jacol84 likes this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

You are on the ball! I don,t think I even have a crossbow that's sighted in :confused: I wish I was that excited , an half that ready :p

13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Heat's been brutal, but this AM is nicer. We had 4 "Tater days" with a lot of volunteers and got about 180 bins so far (bins average about 900#) Only about 1.75 acres to go! 'Course we have a bunch of carrots to get too, and not enough volunteers signed up so far. Had the last sweet corn pick yesterday. Fishing sounds really good, but no time.

Oppie likes this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That's a lot of tatters, I don't care who you are :).
    We spent today making tomato sauce, around 8 qts. We've already canned 14 qts of tomato's, 6 pints of salsa. Garden did very well this yr. Apple sauce is next and maybe put a deer in the pressure canner.:)

jacol84 likes this.
  15. FINN

FINN Member

Hit the Big Lake again today, beautiful weather and Lakers were cracking. Me and my Friend had a great day, and filled the cooler. 52ad4a9da9d3478ad0f1c513075ccba9.jpg ae1d2e364e54d3f00cb6d2862b4e3f7c.jpg

Oppie, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Nice fish!

xcaliber likes this.
  17. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Very Nice!

18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Nice fish, kinda jealous :)

xcaliber likes this.
  19. FINN

FINN Member

Hopefully be out on the big Gitche Gumee, on Thursday. My two uncle's who are both Vets, haven't been fishing on Lake Superior ever. They are both up so hopefully get them out.
    Smoker is going to be rolling all day tomorrow as the fish from Sat are in the Brine.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Oppie, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

twothumbs up.jpg