Fishing unreal today

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

We headed out after lunch an caught smallies till we came in around dark . my custom Alabama rig I make vs my sons favorite live target crankbait. hands down my rig with most all the big fish an some dandys . I caught so many nice fish I got tired of reeling them in :confused:I have 5 custom jigs with hooks on my custom rig an had 3 triples, 3 doubles today an not small fish either.a first ever an my son was in shock looking at them an took pictures.what a day an lure !!!!!!

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Love it when someone i know is having fun Frank!:):cool:

3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Very nice, I was on the river last week and didn't catch a legal fish.

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

About the same here last week as a cold front came in an we had 2 fish. beatiful out today an the water was clear an like a sheet of glass ,now it cools down when the sun goes down an I love it.

5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We were @ the Terrytown on the North-branch, my ole 68 Everrude motor hacked & sputtered, we didn't get far. Caught a few small mouths, none legal. The Fish police showed up and didn't even bother checking me.

xcaliber likes this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Your going to have come down sometime an I will put you on some fish. we have spare rooms spend the night ,bring the wife an my wife an her can talk about how bad we are while we're out fishing :p my wife,s easy to get
    along with ,but just not with me:p she gave up on trying to boss me around years ago ,she use to leave an go to her mothers for a month or two about every 6 months an I had a nice little quiet vacation :oops: now it,s been ten years since I had one ,I do the same things I always did like fish,hunt,shoot an it,s ok now:p

Oppie likes this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That would be a blast, I'm always happy to fish or shoot something. We've been going to the Terrytown access but the fishing is much better a bit farther north but just haven't had a chance to get there yet this summer.

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Was out last evening by myself night fishing the warm water discharge an seen not one boat anywhere. a fine dark night but only 2 catfish trolling as the waters still too warm for walleye,stripers running 83-85 degrees .

This evening my son went along as we headed north up in the islands an seen this dead deer floating in the water we thought but turned out to be a giant dead flathead :eek: i hammered the smallies on my home made lure but no triples,doubles this evening.bait breaking all over with gulls diving down on the baitfish as I follow the birds ,bait . I caught so many smallies I got tired of catching them again. My kind of fishing an be back at it tomorrow .

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Ewwwww, nasty! I haven't made it back to the river yet, maybe this next week. My Ever-rude is still being finicky an chooses not to run right. If it cools down some the river should be getting good for wallye. The river is getting low up here an gravel bars everywhere now.

10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Waters up pretty good here an the lower part I call the sediment pond is 77 degrees ,up north in the islands where the current flows it was 70 degrees . son had one small walleye that got off last night fishing our smallie spots .after dark we went to our walleye spot along the main channel an fished what I call the fingers with no luck. waiting for th warm water discharge to cool down but most years mid-late oct before I get any walleye ,stripers there.guess I,m a smallie fisherman an have been for years but just never admitted it as I catch some nice fish an many more of them than I do walleyes :p

11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I love fishing for smallies, decent size ones are hard to come by around here now, to many fishing tournaments every weekend.

12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Things sure changed on the old river since I was a kid. my dad an I had great largemouth ,smallie ,crappie,bluegill ,yellow perch,walleye fishing till the storm Agnes hit somewhere around 1970 . never was the same after that as the lower parts filling up with sediment they say,a nuke plant,pollution :confused: just a shame to happen to such a beatiful river :confused:

Oppie likes this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

agreed, it's hard to get very far between the logs an gravel bars around here. I crossed the river @ Nichols Ny yesterday and it's very shallow with gravel bars as far as you can see. She needs dredging out again here.

Agnes hit in 72, two weeks after I graduated grade 12, welcomed me to the real world!

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I remember it well an was along it watching boats float down in the current of the high dirty water an not dare go out on it. I come from a long line of susky fisherman as both my grandfathers fished it along with my dad an all my uncles. I guess I been the most dedicated fisherman of the bunch on the susky since a kid an know it better than most. I was the first bow hunter in our family tree that I know of if my dads bowfishing didn,t count :p

Oppie likes this.
  15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Out again last evening an the son got a walleye in the boat finally. we hammered the smallies again as the birds were diving on the bait as the smallies were chasing the baitfish also. going back this evening for more action ,but it,s a scorcher out there at this time an hope it cools abit ,but it don,t matter to the smallies as long as the fast waters flowing where I fish,as I fish the current breaks,seams.

jacol84 likes this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

My family wasn't big on fishing, except for me, nobody bow hunted except for me. Back before the internet I taught myself about archery. Around the time I got married I had a buddy that helped get me on the river and taught me a lot of things but things changed and we parted ways.
    I keep shooting arrows an fishing, though not as hard as I used to........

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  17. FINN

FINN Member

Fished Lake Superior all day yesterday, super crazy weather. 80° . Was 90 couple days ago. Water temp went up 7 degrees in a week, in September. Unheard-of. But did manage 6 Lakers. What a beautiful day and didn't see another boat fishing all day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

xcaliber, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That sounds like some great fishing! we been fishing everyday or should I say sweating everyday in this heat,but the smallies are on the feed an yesterday I caught 10 in about an hour trolling my rig with 1 double as 6 of the 10 were big fish. son had his favorite crankbait on an had 4 small ones. I asked if he wanted one of my rigs an he said no,I said boy you sure got pride :p I told him from now on just call me the hog master as he just smiled.

Then we were so hot we headed for the west shore of the river hills for some trolling to fish to walleye in the shade . he was using a crankbait with a walleye harness hooked on the rear , gave me a good lesson as he caught 2 walleye an some small bass an 1 big flathead about 15lb on the rig an only 1 small bass for me on my little crankbait. back out in the heat again today an getting to be like work:confused::p

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  19. FINN

FINN Member

Hit the stream last week and caught a limit of trout in an hour. Hadn't fished the spot in Probably 20 yrs. c6b476c2430f997f3ce1322a87652928.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jacol84, Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Those trout are sure pretty fish, Yummy to :).

xcaliber likes this.