First summer mini-3D shoot. Worried about the wrong thing!

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by jacol84, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Today was out club's first mini 3D shoot of the summer. I was excited to use the SS at full power, but I was concerned about maybe ruining fletching on some of the "softer" (more shot up) targets. Even though I did get point pass throughs on some turkey and other smaller targets, no fletching touched foam.:) Other than a first shot brain fart (Rinehart boar that's lying down in the back) - didn't even really look and find the scoring rings:confused:, shot OK. Not my best by not far off. The technical difficulties took place at the other end of the arrow. I was fortunate to have 2 good arrows for the last double target from the tree stand. They both pulled out intact!:D Guess I have to think about epoxy instead of hot melt.:rolleyes: Those were the long 60 gr. inserts.

3D today.jpg

2. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Jeff, sounds like you had fun at least, but also some whoops :eek::D

jacol84 likes this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

What brand of hot melt are you using Jeff? Are you dunking them in cold water immediately after inserting them? I haven't shot that many broad heads into my new Rhinehart Rhino but have had no issues. I've been using Easton hot melt.

4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, I'm not sure what kind it was. Got it quite a while ago. It worked up until now.:rolleyes:

I took all the inserts out, cleaned and roughed out the inside of the shafts with a .338 cal bore brush, then reinstalled with the blue Bohning Ferrule Tite. I will see how it goes at the next shoot on the 24th. And yep, I always dip in cold water right away. Good news is all the shafts spun true.:)

bbahunter and Stalker like this.
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Did a little better today. Tied my best score, but a little more consistent? Only 1 8, but only 7 Xs today. Good thing was I didn't have a single point/insert budge. Reprepping the inside of the shaft and using blue Bohning Ferrule-Tite did the job!:) This was probably our best "dead deer no doubt" target. All 4 of us hit inside the 10 ring. The other crossbow shooter was my friend who was shooting the frankenbow I gave him earlier this year. He did pretty well for his first shoot. Had fun, and sandwiched the shoot in between some heavy rain.;)

3D on 7:24.jpg

Stalker and bbahunter like this.
  6. Stalker

Stalker Member

Nice shooting Jeff. Glad that glue is working better for ya.

bbahunter likes this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Yes Paul, the glue seems great. I did shoot completely through a javelina target and bent an arrow.:( The guy who set the shoot up said he put some smaller targets up because we have been getting strong thunderstorms this week. Thought I had 2 to refletch, but the spinner says don't bother with them.:rolleyes: Don't know if the XX75 magnums are different than the XX75 camo shafts or not. None of them bent at all last summer, but I was shooting about 40 fps less speed then.:confused: Really enjoying shooting the full power 355 SS though. 30+ yard X on a turkey with the arrow up to the fletching and point out the back side definitely made me :D.

8. Stalker

Stalker Member

The shafts should be the same as far as I know. I'd try to straighten them.Its not going to hurt anything to try. I haven't had any bending issues but am only shooting 323 fps with the Excal and not into foam except for a few with broad heads. Shot some 20 inchers through the Barnett at about 345fps with no issues.Then again not into foam.

9. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, I'm good for the summer. Still have 6 more that I haven't cut and fletched up yet. If I have to, I can set up a 290 fps bow and shoot the 16" camo arrows from last year. If those mags don't behave, I might have to put them in a box and send them to Georgia and somebody who knows what he's doing.;)

Stalker likes this.
  10. Stalker

Stalker Member

Ha! ha! I dont know what I'm doing but did stay at a holiday in 1 time and I can fake it pretty good:D

jacol84 likes this.
  11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good shooting! wish I had all the points ,inserts I have lost o_O

jacol84 and bbahunter like this.
  12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Can't say I shot all that well today. Bow seemed to be shooting to the right. One 30 yarder I got an X, I had to aim at the left edge of the 10 ring.:confused: Have to make sure it's not me before I try and figure it out.:rolleyes: I CAN say that the the blue ferrule-tite seems to be the answer to the insert problem. No problem again today!:D:D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Stalker likes this.
  13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sounds good for the Insert thing! when you get that offhand thing mastered ,let me know how you do it as I could use some help . I seem to do better with open sights at my hunting ranges with a crossbow,handgun.with a scope I have a habit of yanking the trigger trying to time the shot as the crosshairs move around the target where I want to hit.with open sights I see less wobble without magnifacation an let the sight float around like a compound an squeeze the trigger more.

14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Stego target.jpg

We shot again today, in the light rain. Thought I had the shooting to the right figured out when I found one scope mount screw was a bit loose. Well, that wasn't it. Still shooting half a 10 ring to the right at 30-35 yards. Worked though. My best score, no 8s. 8 10s and 7 Xs. Inserts still holding with no problem. Some refletching to do. That's my XX75 Mag sticking out the back of the stego.

Stalker likes this.
  15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looking good! when I shoot off to one side most times ,it,s a follow thru problem for me. one thing that works for me shooting anything is to concentrate on keeping the sight picture on target after the shot. easier said than done :p

Stalker likes this.