First summer mini-3D shoot. Worried about the wrong thing!

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by jacol84, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Today was out club's first mini 3D shoot of the summer. I was excited to use the SS at full power, but I was concerned about maybe ruining fletching on some of the "softer" (more shot up) targets. Even though I did get point pass throughs on some turkey and other smaller targets, no fletching touched foam.:) Other than a first shot brain fart (Rinehart boar that's lying down in the back) - didn't even really look and find the scoring rings:confused:, shot OK. Not my best by not far off. The technical difficulties took place at the other end of the arrow. I was fortunate to have 2 good arrows for the last double target from the tree stand. They both pulled out intact!:D Guess I have to think about epoxy instead of hot melt.:rolleyes: Those were the long 60 gr. inserts.

3D today.jpg

2. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Jeff, sounds like you had fun at least, but also some whoops :eek::D

jacol84 likes this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

What brand of hot melt are you using Jeff? Are you dunking them in cold water immediately after inserting them? I haven't shot that many broad heads into my new Rhinehart Rhino but have had no issues. I've been using Easton hot melt.

4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, I'm not sure what kind it was. Got it quite a while ago. It worked up until now.:rolleyes:

I took all the inserts out, cleaned and roughed out the inside of the shafts with a .338 cal bore brush, then reinstalled with the blue Bohning Ferrule Tite. I will see how it goes at the next shoot on the 24th. And yep, I always dip in cold water right away. Good news is all the shafts spun true.:)

bbahunter and Stalker like this.