First garden meal

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Just picked a squash from our garden an fried it in butter after rolling in flour.got little peppers,maters,cucumbers hanging on the vines. these squash grow fast an keep me busy trying to keep up an eat them before they get too big. once the maters come on I switch over to fried green maters that are my favorite.if I don,t become a better fisherman ,hunter soon I may have to turn into a vegetarian :p

Stalker, Oppie, jacol84 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We're a long ways from getting anything from the garden yet but the deer have already ate 4 of my tomato plants. My spinach plants are yellow and begging for some sun, everything else is trying to grow but needs less rain and more sun.

Stalker likes this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

I love it when the Zucchini get big. We make these Zucchini boats. Scoop out the seeds and load them up with chicken,bacon,onions,peppers and cheese! Bake them for about 25 minutes at 350-375:D. We have also done it with taco ground venison ,Italian type ground venison. We had one variety or another 4 nights last week! 20190614_210008.jpg 20190614_210037.jpg I also love it in a stir fry with yellow squash,potato's,onions, peppers and smoked sausage:D

I've picked about 50 cucumbers so far. Only 7 or 8 tomatoes have turned so far. Green beans are doing ok and still waiting on the okra.

xcaliber, Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  4. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Wow, my corn is only about 6 inches high, you guys must have a long season. I did get some asparagus though. Not growing anything this year but hoping to resume next year.

Stalker, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks great! I can,t wait to stuff my squash with something after seeing that . yum,yum!

Stalker likes this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

We have a good bit of lettuce, but waiting on the rest. Zucchini, broccoli, kale, spinach, peppers, tomatoes.

Stalker likes this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Actually I just got most of my garden planted two weeks ago, and it's rained prob 8 of those days.
    I used to have a nice raised bed of asparagus until a township ditch overflowed and washed all the soil out from under the asparagus plants and left gravel behind in it's place poop: and I really liked my fresh asparagus every spring.

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Ours hasn,t been planted very long ,but with all this rain it,s growing like it,s in the Amazon :oops: I never ate much asparagus an just started about a year ago. never realized how good it is,now I love it an great in a breakfast quiche .

9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I like them myself many different ways. I always tried to let a couple of zucchini get huge then let the kids shoot them and some pumpkins :D.

I had the Jersey Giant variety and it really produced some nice fat spears for several yrs. I was considering planting some this spring but it's just not going to happen this year.

10. Stalker

Stalker Member

I always try to plant by April fools day. Sometimes that's risky but it usually works out. This year with temps being cool and wet in April. Then hot and dry in May with temps in the upper 90's has the plants all confused.

Simple meal tonight. Venison cube steak, gravy and cucumbers. Cost about a dollar for the gravy:D usually we'd have mashed potatoes too but we are counting carbs:eek::( I have lost about 25 lbs since January though :D 20190618_175224.jpg

jacol84, Jack Pine and Oppie like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I usually plant mine Memorial weekend and had half of it in then this yr and finished it around June 1st with three days of rain and a Doe with a new fawn in between :D.

12. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Hope your weight loss wasn't due to sickness.
    Amazing how different the weather is in various parts of the country. I planted my corn plots on May 9, way earlier than ever before because the weather was unusually warm. Rain started next day and then it turned cold for an extended time, including 2 frosts. Corn didn't come up for a long time, about 3 weeks, thought it might have rotted, but most eventually came up. Not so early next year. Turns out, many farmers haven't been able to plant corn or beans in my area because of all the rain.

Stalker and Oppie like this.
  13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, congrats on the weight loss. I need to get committed. BP is up, and the pill aggravates my gout. Losing weight would help both.:oops:

Weather sure does vary. I'm not sure if it's wetter than 2 years ago or not, but we had a tough time planting for the potato project this spring because of wet fields. Everything planted is growing very well except for a few places in the fields that are too wet. Two years ago, it was miserable wet like this and we totalled 267,000 pounds, so many that two local food banks wouldn't take any more.:eek: Last year, hot and dry in June killed the plants before the rains came in July and August. We got less than 100.000 last year.:(

Stalker and Oppie like this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

My grandfather was a real garden man an lived to 95 years old. he always told me ,plant may 10 as you can,t count on the weather or frost around here before then. never was a garden man here,I think growing food,gathering firewood is women's work :rolleyes:I,m a hunter :p

jacol84, Jack Pine and Oppie like this.
  15. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

LOL good luck getting one to do it though. The only garden Mrs Pine is concerned about is flowers.

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Our Doe and fawn made a pass through Mrs Judy's flower bed and trimmed everything off and guess who was accused of doing it with the weed wacker :p and had to point out the deer tracks to prove it wasn't me :D but I'm still a suspect :rolleyes:.

jacol84, Jack Pine and Stalker like this.
  17. Stalker

Stalker Member

Nope no sickness. I've always been thin and have always ate like a pig and never gained a pound. Gave up smoking and then chewing tobacco about 8 years ago and the weight started piling on right around the gut! Eating junk food and sweet treats like a teenager didn't help:eek:.

Weatherman always says we should be frost free by April 15 and I always gamble. I have had seeds rot in the ground before if its too cold for them to germinate. My garden is only about 400 square feet so no big loss if I have to replant or cover up plants because of frost. We had a very wet winter but this spring has been very dry and very hot! So far June has been almost normal/average.

jacol84 and Jack Pine like this.
  18. Stalker

Stalker Member

Those taters are evil when it comes to weight loss Jeff! Count carbs and not calories. It has worked for me.

jacol84 likes this.
  19. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

It's always the man's fault, even when a deer does it, it's your fault because you should have shot that deer last fall, and then if you did, it would be your fault for being so mean. A friend used to ask "If a man says something and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong"? Most say "He sure is!"

20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, I would agree that low carb has always worked better for me. Now I just have to watch "purines", and game meat has more than beef. Still gonna have one meal per week of venison though.;) The only time I've had any of the project's taters is when we are harvesting, they make fries and hot dogs for the people helping. Two bad foods to be sure.:rolleyes: Our director had some serious health issues earlier this year, and then was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. He can't eat more that a small piece of potato anymore.:rolleyes: To quote a good friend of mine who has passed, "No good deed goes unpunished."

Stalker and Jack Pine like this.