Experimental supplies.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by jacol84, Apr 7, 2018.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Arrow making stuff..jpg

Well, the XX75 Magnum shafts finally got here, so I have some stuff to experiment with arrow making. I got the Omnis and Moon nocks because earlier in the week, I had the KI here. Just knew pretty quickly it was not a keeper for me. I have 6 new Tapps too, so I'm looking forward to comparing the Tapps with the Mags. I'll use those Fusions (from Brian) to do the Tapps as the other Tapps have them. Looking forward to see how the Vanetec Swifts do with the Mags, and I may refletch my old BEEs with them too, since I have 100 white and 100 orange. Definitely planning on using these Mags for 3D this year, maybe more. Just not sure what bow/scope they will be flying from.;)

Stalker, bbahunter and xcaliber like this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good looking stuff! can,t wait to see some shooting results. just a shame to cut them pretty shafts off:p

xcaliber likes this.
  3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Frank, right now they are 22", which would have worked well had I kept the KI. The recurves work best with 18", and I think that will work for everything I'll be using this year.:cool: Might leave them at 20" to give a little more to grab when 3D shooting. Guess I'll only set up 6 until I know better what I need.:)

Update, I threw one arrow together. 18" with the 60 gr. insert, Vanetec Swift 3.1 and Firenock F nocks (without hot melt for the insert), and it's looking like they are going to come in right around 450 grains with a 100 gr. point. Vanetecs seem pretty stiff, almost like Fusions.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Stalker and bbahunter like this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That sounds great! any special reason for 2219 as my favorites were 2114, 2117 for there smaller dia an loved them slugged with pieces of CX max hunter 350 shaft.

5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Just standard crossbow size. That and the experiences of Bruce, Cal and Paul (Stalker).

Oppie, Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

What I liked about 2114,2117 was I used the same brass inserts ,nocks made for the gt11, executioners with a great fit an my vertical slugs fit nice an tight.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Oppie and Stalker like this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I used 2219's because I had a few in decent shape @ 29", and Cal & Paul (Stalker) like em :p.
    That and I don't want to send any of my expensive carbon arrow thru a gobbler into the great beyond! Been there, done that.
    My wife saw three strutters in my hot spot yesterday :D, If I had a tail, it'd be wagging :p.

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I've been struggling to fletch some of them. I got one of those Zenith adapters for the Bitz and I don't much care for it ATM. Switched back to my Bitz nock adapter and a wrapped supernock. Also needed to get some new superglue. I hope to be able to do some shooting before we really ramp up field work.

9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Windy so I got all my BEA out of the box an decided to flètch all with these new 4 inch gateways an see how they do.i got away from long feathers after my boys turned me on to Blazers ,then I went to 2 inch razors, feels good to be back after shooting these 4 inch gateways on some arrows.I was looking an listening for Turks yesterday out on the river but nothing. rode down to thow a minnow trap in the creek next to my Turk spot on the hill an seen or heard nothing today.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    jacol84 likes this.
  10. Stalker

Stalker Member

Jeff. If its not too late the green lid Gorilla super glue gel works great for me on aluminum and carbon shafts. I also like the tip on the bottle as well.

Oppie likes this.
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Paul, I got some of that yesterday, along with Loc tite brand small tube gel. Worked fine. Guess the stuff I had was just old. I have 3 arrows made up now. Too bad the Mountaineer's in the shop today, so I can't go shoot them at any distance.:( Between weather and work ramping up, not sure when I can give a "range report.";)

bbahunter and Stalker like this.
  12. Stalker

Stalker Member

I know what you mean! Whats it in the shop for?

13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Parking brake mostly. Then see if they can find out what seems to make it bind at times (not all the time) when in parking lots (tight turns).

14. Stalker

Stalker Member

Gotta be that all wheel drive.

15. Stalker

Stalker Member

Gotta be that all wheel drive.

16. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Aluminum Mag arrows.jpg Aluminum arrows 1st at 30.jpg Aluminum arrows 2nd at 30.jpg Aluminum arrows at 40.jpg

OK, back to topic so to speak. Wanted to give these a good test, and maybe I'll see how they do out of the Patriot 380 another day, but after thatch-raking my yard, 1.5 days of plowing, and an afternoon of picking rocks for the no-till planter, I decided the SS would be easier on the old back this morning. Used my field pod instead of the Ready-Shot as I wanted to eliminate my errors as much as possible. XX75 Mag 2219s, cut to 18". 60 gr. inserts, Vanetec Swift vanes, Firenock F nocks, and 100 gr. bullet points. They are about 45 gr. heavier than the carbons I was sighted in for, so 32 clicks up, and they were on at 30. Arrow #2 shot to the right of the others, so I turned it and loaded "cock vane" on the right, and that brought it in (pic 2, turn, pic 3). Not sure if I misread the seam, or if the seam is irrelvent, but spine seems to matter with aluminum as well as carbon. Guessed on the Leupy and set it from 3.2 power down to 3 and it was pretty close at 40, which is the last pic. I think these are going to work, at least for 3D and maybe hunting too.:confused: The Vanetecs seemed to hiss a little.:confused: Surprised me that I could hear it since I forgot my ear plugs yesterday, and spent a good bit of time on the tractor, in the field and over the road.;) I will fletch up the rest of the first half dozen and let you guys know how they do. So far, very pleased. Thanks a bunch to Paul, Cal, and Bruce for the XX75 info and suggestions.:D

Oppie, Stalker and bbahunter like this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good shooting! I found out that some arrows act different than others in different conditions while some stay close the same :confused:

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  18. Stalker

Stalker Member

They look good Jeff! Nice shooting

The fusion line is irrelevant imo and spine does matter. I've spine indexed a lot of xx75's and I have never noticed any relationship to the fusion line and spine. Usually they group well being spine indexed but every one in a while you'll have to turn one. I always check the nock first.

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Good shooting Jeff, thanks for the info. I'm still amazed how good our Xbows & arrows shoot, but there's always room for improvement and you guys know how to find it.

xcaliber, Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I've had a frustrating time with the accuracy of these arrows. Been trying different combos of parts for a #3 bow that would be a quiet shooting one for 3D (with vertical compound shooters). Finally decided to just put my TR 525 scope I like for 3D on the SS. It's the quietest bow I have, though it may be a bit fast for a few of the club's targets. Happy to say all the trouble I was having (3" accuracy at 40?:confused:) disappeared this morning. By the time I could get to the range the breeze had already kicked up some, but not too bad. I need to level my scope a bit, just put it on and tightened it up. Nice that, with these 450 gr. arrows, I guessed and set the scope to 330 fps and it was spot on for elevation.:eek: Not used to guessing right the first time, but I'll take it. Glad that's off my mind. The SS will be my 3D bow for the season, unless Little Franky shoots really well when Tim is done with it. After 3D season, I'll just put the Leupy on it and sight in for the carbons. Nice to have the Patriot 380 all dialed in while I play with #2.:D

mags @ 40.jpg

Stalker, Oppie and bbahunter like this.