Crossbow goose hunting

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Everything Else' started by Masboy, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I plan on goose hunting for our resident geese starting sept 1 on the river. I will have some decoys out on a shallow sandbar on the south side of an island that I will be in my boat on the shore under some cover. If they come into my decoys I plan on wacking some with my vixen that,s dialed into 50yds. an have my ranger finder on hand with some decoys at certain yds.

I tried some arrows in my bait cooler an think they will float with the fletching sticking out of the water but need deeper water to test for sure an will try this evening while out fishing an scouting my blind location on shore. No flying shots for me just sitting on the water shots . I will have my m1 benelli along for flying ones an if I have to chase down any.

Just think it be exciting to get geese an maybe some ducks with my bow. I have my benelli patterned shooting a kicks high flyer choke tube an ready with some no 1 kent faststeel deadly out to 50 yds. For a backup. can,t wait to try my bow on a goose :D

Joe likes this.
  2. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Promise you'll take some pictures !!! Sounds like a blast !!!

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m working on getting ready an will be hunting out of my big G3 flat bottom that I,m putting some camo paint colors all over the olive green boat an cover everything that shines. I have rod holders all around an plan on putting some branches of all kinds in them an making it look natural as I can.

Then running two gang lines one with geese an one with ducks from the boat. My first year of getting really into it but think I will be hooked an have some pictures. Can,t wait an excited here!

4. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Looking forward to your pictures !

5. Joe

Joe Active Member

X`2.................on the pictures :)

6. Tim50

Tim50 Guest

I believe it may be illegal in some states to shoot migratory birds "on the water"...Not 100% sure on that just one of those things I thought I had heard. I would verify this prior to your hunt...

7. Clay

Clay Member

Just yesterday, I was admiring flocks in a field close to home and was thinking it would be fun to try with the crossbow to shoot a couple in the field on the ground while in a blind.

8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Sounds like to much fun, I'd try it....
    Yep, carbon arrows float! Wife missed the rinehart target last week an hit the pond, surprised me to see it pop back up :cool:

9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Can,t wait to give it a try an got the Ol nox ready an deadly out to 60yds. all legal from what I have read.

OldschoolBH and Oppie like this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Need pictures or even better, Videos :eek: :D

11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m not very good at anything using cameras :confused: But do have a boat an know the river well from a lifetime of being on it an where everything likes to hangout on it. would be glad to take anyone out anytime for a shot at some ducks, geese an give it a try .

12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Saturdays our opener for ducks an geese on the river . won,t be setting decoys because the boys would rather be deer hunting an I can,t do everything myself . so I will set up in some good spots on the rivers edge in my boat .

plan on getting some wood ducks with my shotgun an hope a shot at some geese with my nox an ready out to 60yds an that will be my limit.will be using old broadheads that we have an have fletching on my arrows to help find on the water.

Our season stays in mostly from nov 15 - jan 26 so plenty of time an sure I will wack something sooner or later ? also throw my walleye rods in the boat an do a little trolling keeping an eye out on the ducks an geese an finding more spots where they like to hang out or fly by. I will be sitting in my boat with a big jug of coffee relaxing an waiting :D

13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Been working on getting my boat ready with some camo burlap an plastic post .I can just stick the post in my rod holders an take them out an rolls up easy. I have a car bucket seat in for comfort an like being comfortable while fishing or hunting.

I put my old sweat shirts over my motors an work great . I will be sitting along the shore with the burlap facing the water an can lean my crossbow holding hand against the post for a steady hold. I got a couple more things to do but getting ready.

Got my vixen back together with a varizone an dialed in out to 50yds. an decided not to use the nox Because it may send my black eagles an ramcats into never never land an not be seen again. did not make it today the opener an was not ready an too many hunters on a sat.

Some good spots I can hunt now with a bow that are close to some summer cabins that have a 150yd safety zone with a gun an only 50yds with a bow :D no one in them mostly this time of year anyway but other hunters setup in some of my good spots so I have to look where they will not be :rolleyes:

Always rigging something :p

9EE17DC9-F045-40F3-A721-2B767AB93F1C_zpsnqs3mlkg.jpg

60A36118-0E41-4EEC-9D62-789F2A151432_zps6n49dygd.jpg

878D2120-414F-4C71-8A77-8D098F2945B7_zpsymbjyxod.jpg

D378CAF9-7BCC-4D68-AA2A-4B3B5D4C53F0_zpsog9t0drt.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Joe and Andy like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

Looks like you got the boat ready i like the bucket seat nice and comfy

15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Still trying to get me a goose or duck with my crossbow but no luck. I put out the decoys close to shore an they seem to shy away from my boat on the shore, so I now put out my decoys in front of a big tree that fell in the water an set behind the big root on shore an perfect, then park my boat far away.

But now my sons busy working an he,s the duck an goose caller an my calling sucks! I went out a couple days ago at daybreak an seen a few but not much flying. spent the whole day on the water an after hunting went walleye fishing.

I was longline trolling crankbaits real slow an caught 4 nice walleye an one striper in the warm water discharge that was 47 degrees. had a great day but was pretty cold , felt good to get out of the house for sure. wife was ready to call the boys wondering where I was all day. I told her don,t worry I,m just having fun :p

OldschoolBH likes this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Sounds like a great day on the river :)

17. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

Nice boat set up MB and I hope you end up sticking one of those two legged pillows! Did you do a test shot to see if your arrow would float? I'm curious just how far an arrow would travel through the water before it pops up so you can see it.
    I think I'm going to give it a try myself. Where we live they are more nusiance and push out the ducks in some ponds. I think I'll try sneaking up on them from shore.

18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

No good this year! guys came in an put up permanent blinds at my hot spots I been watching before season an plenty of shooting from them. I try to keep away from the crowds no matter what I hunt even if it means getting nothing. I tried one in a bucket an it floated . would be hard to find one on choppy water for sure.

19. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

Maybe a lighted nock would make it more visible.