Crossbow Fishing? Saw a pic

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Everything Else' started by davenj8, Feb 26, 2015.

1. davenj8

davenj8 Member

I saw a pic on the show us your bow an gear thread of what I swear was a fishing rig on a crossbow. Has anyone done this and can you elaborate about it. It has got to be challenging an coool

2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Yes that,s my cut down vortex rail with a 10 inch stroke an about 100lb. Pull. I put a muzzy bowfishing reel on it with 150 monkey wire line . it,s deadly accurate out to 20 yds an more. a real fish killing machine! anymore power than that it tears up the reels.

davenj8 and Joe like this.
  3. davenj8

davenj8 Member

that's cool....

4. Clay

Clay Member

How about a link?

5. Clay

Clay Member

This post was started yesterday, correct? Maybe you are referring to the information that I was wanting to see? That's my question, where is the information on crossbow fishing?

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I think I,m the only crossbow fisherman on here ? I posted under crossbow mantaince in old post. did post some pictures of some fish I shot but can,t remember if on here or Excal site? anything you want to know just ask an I would be glad to help! my brains a little slow anymore an hard for me to understand simple things :confused:

7. Clay

Clay Member

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Yes I have tried many an had a whole pile that I tore up open face, spinners ,hand spools . had to slow the bow down an that helped a lot. the muzzy spinner works best but shoot to fast an it tears out the line pick up pin . The muzzy works great an reels fast an a good drag. after I shoot a fish I just turn the bow over an reel like holding a fishing pole.

I seen an read about the AMS the one you seen an you have to pull the fish in by hand an no drag. the all say it,s slow but reliable.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Clay likes this.
  9. Clay

Clay Member

Thanks again for the pointers.

10. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

MB, I'm rigging up an MK 180 130 lb crossbow with an AMS jug reel on it. I had it on a MK 150, but I just got the MK180 especially for forcefeeding so I don't have to change back and forth. The arrow I made out of a driveway marker rod is too short for the 180 so I'll be making a longer one this week. My lake is still frozen so I have a little time yet.

11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sounds great! that AMS should do well an not matter about the power but with bowfishing reels too much power tears up the line pick up an rips bails off open faces when they fly closed :p

12. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

ff1.JPG ff2.JPG ff3.JPG ff4.JPG Finished my forcefeeder; an MK 180, 130 lb draw. Folding limbs.
    AMS jug reel attaches by tapping 2 existing holes to 10-24; no drilling required. 2, 3/4" 10-24 machine screws and washers - lok-tite.
    Arrow from a .99 cent driveway marker and "Lil Stinger" fish point. 6-32 screw, washer, and a piece of hose for the slide bumper. Short piece of 2216 to fit over the rod, with an insert for flat nock, can be changed to moon nock.
    Harpoon weight 1166 grains; a blazing 128fps!!!!
    Jack ><>

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Joe and ehntr like this.
  13. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

The nice thing about driveway markers is, you can look through enough to find a straight one, and then get 2 harpoons out of it!! Still have ice on the lake MB but not for long. Soon as I get a new fishing license, fix the switch on my spotlight, and make sure the ol' Mariner starts and runs, I BE READY!!!!!!!!!!

OldschoolBH likes this.
  14. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

MB what did you fill the shaft with? I might try something like that because the harpoon will definitely bury itself in the mud!

15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I slugged it with 350 maxima hunter then put 110 brass inserts in each end. drilled an tapped hole in the nock one for the safety slide stop. then I JB welded the end of the arrow inside the fish point an spun it to make sure it spun well.

1B477767-450E-4994-8CC8-31B2B811431C_zpsxj9cpbjb.jpg

045A13C2-E942-4F0A-809D-A50FF0FF2A1C_zpsx2pn5xtl.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Joe and OldschoolBH like this.
  16. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Nice job!!!!! I think I'm going to order some more slides and make some more harpoons to carry in the boat in case of a malfunction. MB, let's go stick some slimeys!

OldschoolBH likes this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Fun for sure! we're allowed to shoot catfish also an we have some big flatheads. I think maybe nighttime for them is best. no big lights on my boat so never did it at night.

18. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I have to be careful about the streams here, so many are designated trout streams so you can't spear in those waters, and there aren't many "carp" waters up here like there are downstate.
    I got started up here while shining for walleyes to see where to fish opening day. We'd go out at night with a spotlight, trolling around and noting where the walleyes are. Their eyes show up almost as bright as deer eyes. Right after ice out, the suckers are either spawning or in there sucking up walleye eggs, so it's a good time to let 'em have it. Gotta overcome the tremendous temptation to harpoon some of the big walleyes though. DNR frowns on it. Not worth losing your boat over.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  19. ehntr

ehntr Member

I have never bow-fished. What is this Jack?
    ff2_zpsqrgnx4kk.jpg

20. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

That's a slide stop; made out of a piece of garden hose. See the orange things on MB's arrows, those are safety slides to prevent the string from flailing around and grabbing something and then propelling the arrow back at you! When you fire, the arrow actually goes through the slide until it reaches the stop. Then the arrow is away with no line whipping around grabbing bowstrings, limbs, or other stuff. MB has "real" store bought stops, mine's the redneck version. Does the same thing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    Stalker and OldschoolBH like this.