Coyotes Management - Trapping

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Coyotes, Bobcats, Cougars' started by TX_RDXguy, Jun 19, 2017.

1. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

Are any of you guys setting leg hold traps for these dirty dogs vs hunting them?

I'm going to give it a try. Season opens July 1 so I've got a six trap kit from Minnesota Trapline Products on the way. I chose their 550 trap vs the standard Bridger.

Kit.jpg
    550.jpg

There is quite a bit of trap setting info. on video which is helpful but any advice/tips on where/how to setup would be much appreciated.

jacol84 likes this.
  2. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Unfortunately here in Massachusetts, you have to be a licensed trapper with the state to be able to trap predators etc.
    So, we have to hunt them over bait, at night or calling, or all of the fore mentioned.
    The fawns don't have a chance against the predators when very young.:mad:
    6b892f788b4d7d0a0e8efff26c3787db.jpg
    5eb79c9e42931e9fa14dad0cabd6639a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

Furbearer trapping for coyote can be done without a license in AR. Night hunting is an option but it will impact my normal hunting and add traffic, so that's a last resort. The coyote population is really taking off and I'm sure I won't make much of a dent in that with traps but it might give a few more fawns and turkey chicks a chance.

bbahunter likes this.
  4. Wapinheimer

Wapinheimer Member

Sounds like you have done some reading and research on trapping already...I would add wear everything rubber ,at least your gloves and boots. You will need to boil those new traps in something to remove the new smell...

Be sure and anchor the traps with some strong stakes or your traps will be gone..they are strong buggars..

5. TX_RDXguy

TX_RDXguy Member

Yes, a little. I've got Dobbins book and there are quite a few videos out there on setting dirthole traps. I'm having the traps plated black which should help with smell and rust vs dying them. Roger that on boots, knee bag and gloves. Rubber or plastic. Thanks!