Coming down out of the trees

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Everything Else' started by Masboy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I just got a new lone wolf last year an love it but not comfortable climbing or heights anymore . So not hunting MD this year an going to hunt my turkey grounds next to my home in the river hills. I most always see deer when I,m turkey hunting an plan on making me some grounds blinds out of old logs an sticks next to lots of big downed old trees an stumps.

I think a natural blind will be great for the turkey's an deer I will be hunting an a lot more comfy for me . going out soon an get them ready for the coming turkey season an hope the turkeys won,t bust me as quick . Really looking forward to building these blinds an getting ready . this will be a big thrill for me shooting on the ground an a nap or two:rolleyes:

2. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Hunting off the ground in great ! I've started using pop-up ground blinds alot and love them ! Especially in bad weather ! Having fun and enjoying the hunt is what its about anyway !

OldschoolBH likes this.
  3. Last year all my archery hunts were in the trees with a summit Goliath. That was a first for me after 30 years of hunting only on the ground.

On the ground I always used a combination of natural blinds and a piece of camo cloth that I could tie to trees and such if the natural vegetation was sparse. Obviously, you have to much more careful about movement and scent on the ground. I use(d) a backpack that has a seat built into it to sit on and I always set my Xbow on a monopod while I was sitting so all I have to do I lift the butt of the xbow to my shoulder. Doing it that way cuts down a lot on the movement and you can also hold it up indefinitely waiting for the right shot.

I have never been as comfortable as I am in the Goliath. I use the Third Hand stabilizer straps and that makes the climber rock solid. It is awesome. The seat is soooooo comfortable.

Bob

4. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I'm with you on the ground blinds in the rain, and cold wind! I still like getting up about 20 feet too though.

5. bigrak

bigrak Member

I've been using a summit viper (climber) for years. The higher the better over 20'. Love the view!! As long as I can see below the canopy.

6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I have an Equalizer Climber, I have a 50' pull up rope with a knot in the middle. I loop that over my stand rail, and pull the ends through, then climb until I feel it tug on my back pack, or bow. That is usually where I lock on! Puts my feet at about 23' off the ground, and I love the view from that height. I feel very safe in that stand, and I also had a Summit Climber that was just as safe feeling. I used to put up hang on stands, but got to where I just felt unsafe getting into one in the dark after I got in one in the dark, settled in, and the stand dropped about a foot because squirrels, or birds chewed the back strap up real good! I put all new cables, and straps on 3 of them, then gave them away! Climber for me the rest of the hunting days, then ground blinds!

7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I know I will get busted more on the ground. I have spent more time up in trees than most squirrels an just looking for a more comfortable ,easy , enjoyable hunt without having to carry a lot of stuff . I like to go lite an just sneak in my blind without a bunch of climbing an be able to just get up an move to another quick if the need be. I plan on having a few on the ridge I,m hunting an will be run an gun from one to the other at times chasing them turkeys:D I,m not a great Turkey hunter but love to hunt anything that will come to a call. Just hearing that Ol gobble makes my day:p

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    OldschoolBH likes this.
  8. It is harder for sure but it just makes the success that much sweeter. I have had the so close while hunting on the ground that I could have reached out and swatted them. When that happens you know that you got everything right.

You should also consider adding a ghillie suit to your arsenal.
    Bob

9. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I hunted out of a tree stand for more then 40 years until i had a bad accident i fell 20 feet landed on my back and crushed L1 Vertebra i was in the hospital for two months came home to a visiting nurse after many weeks of therapy i was able to get around with a cane.
    I never hunted from a treestand again, i had night mares wake up sweating thinking i was falling what a feeling.
    My family bought my first crossbow i could not draw my compound back because of the muscle tone i lost from surgery.
    I started building blinds out of logs and small tree's the first year i shot 4 deer with my new crossbow i was so thrilled because i thought i would never hunt again.
    That was 2007 .
    I am still hunting from the ground and love every bit of it.

Don likes this.
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I been thinking about getting a ghillie suit an think that it would work great. i,m a big Ol boy an about half afraid one of the crazies around here might wack me thinking I,m a Bigfoot :eek:

11. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Sorry to hear about your fall Andy . Masboy that's funny !

12. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

Honestly I think if you consider a pop up and the wind is right you should be just as successful. Even if you use natural blind material consider a liner made from a cheap black or camo windstop material just like the pop ups are made from. By cutting down the airflow through the blind will help a bunch!
    Another thing if you have the option on your land is using those pre-fab saw horse type brackets and make you a 2x4 and plywood platform that sits off the ground that you can easly get into without climbing. Then use your natural or pop-up blind.
    I have an Ol Man grand vision stand that is very comfortable but I'm going to try the platform blinds next season.

13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I,m good now an just hunt behind my home an put up one permanent stand an one double latter stand for my neighbor kids to hunt rifle out of an there dad owns the ground . he said I can bow hunt from them only an fine with me. hot spots for sure an wacked my buck there this year .

I will also set up a ground blind on the other side of the property to take the neighbor kids out with my crossbows an try to get them there first deer . an all fine spots an they love my crossbows an shoot them great. these are Amish kids an they love to hunt but there dads always busy with the farm . dressed in black they should do fine in the blind :p

OldschoolBH likes this.
  14. amythntr

amythntr Guest

....with a very bad back and torn cartridges in both shoulders, I follow the principle rule of, "I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground."

This has served me well in my hunting endeavors...I do miss the ability to see long distances but then again the deer can not see me either....

OldschoolBH likes this.
  15. Patriot

Patriot Member

I still hunt from ladder stands which are a minimum height of 18 ft. I won't climb the stands without my hunter safety system in place, I always wear my harness.