Calling all Turkeys!

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Turkeys' started by Munch007, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Munch007

Munch007 Member

I love a good deal. :)
    In to the Princess Auto for some drill bits and you know you can't go to Princess without wondering through the surplus section. Saw this on the shelf for 5$ ... meh, we'll see
    What's your perfered call?
    20190225_203025.jpg 20190225_203057.jpg

2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Any mouth call that sounds like a turkey :p

xcaliber and Munch007 like this.
  3. robertyb

robertyb Member

I mostly use slate calls now but I have called in a lot of birds with push button calls over the years. I used mouth calls until the dentist pulled some of my rear teeth and now I squeak when using them.

4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Ahhhh yes, Turkey hunters and their calls :D, just like asking which fishing lure is your favorite.
    I use slate & box calls. I found some slate kits I put together several years ago that I really like and use them mostly.
    I've been seeing fields full of turkeys the last couple of weeks, one 30 mile trip last week I know I saw way over a hundred turkeys out feeding. Buddy of mine saw one strutting already :).

5. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Yes, I've been seeing a lot of birds too.
    We startled a harem of about a dozen ladies roosting in a tree that was growing from the side of a ravine. They would have been about 30' up the tree but at our head level on the ridge and only about 25' away from us when they exploded into flight ... like a bloody bomb going off

Oppie likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

A few of my slate calls.

20190227_175705_001_resized (2).jpg

20190227_175748_resized.jpg

bbahunter, xcaliber and Munch007 like this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s some snazzy looking calls:oops:

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thanks, The small one is lace wood with a hard maple sound board, center one is zebra wood with a glass sound board, not sure what #3 is maybe walnut with glass. I had a couple more of the smaller ones but gave em to a kid:) a few years ago for some gobbler hunting encouragement.

Munch007 likes this.
  9. Munch007

Munch007 Member

My new favorite 20190417_192956.jpg very versatile in sound, and here's why. Just finished work and come in the backdoor. The daughter was going out the front door for some Chinese take out for dinner. I hear "OMG you guys! What kind of bird is this!? Come look!" Across the street I spy a Turkey in the neighbor's driveway. (Keep in mind that I'm in the middle of a 350000 person city.) Daughter says "dad do that thing " Wife looks at me like I'm from Mars. Daughter says "do your calling Turkeys thing " Wife says " don't be stupid, we don't want a Turkey beating up the dog "
    By the time I got back with my call the bird disappeared from my sight. I guessed it was in the neighbor's backyard now so I started calling.
    Some clucks and purrs and waited.
    Made a big ruckus with yelps and squeals, waited, got a response and 20190417_192237.jpg made some more clucks and purrs on the call and

10. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Called that bird right out of the neighbor's backyard and across the street to our front yard. The wife was starting to freak so I stopped talking Turkey and it wandered off into the neighborhood 20190417_192537.jpg

Attached Files:

Oppie likes this.
  11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

It,s a brave one :p I been down around the river looking around,calling with my mouth making a gobble sound ,they answer at times but seen or heard nothing so far

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Love is in the air! I saw a couple strutting a few days ago about 15 yds off the road, and the hens were ignoring them :p.

13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

You know you're a great turkey hunter when you can call them to your house!:D:cool:

bbahunter and Munch007 like this.
  14. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Lol ... either that, or I'm just cute ... for a Turkey :)

xcaliber likes this.