Better way to waste money than buying and selling crossbows?

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by jacol84, Apr 26, 2018.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Got a break from planting work and decided to go fishing for Shad. Probably $30 in gas. Drove to a few spots, most were all posted :mad:. Went up to Bushkill, which is in a National Recreation area, so I knew I could fish there, even though the big part of the run is down closer to Easton. I have caught a dozen here a few times (many years ago), which is why I keep trying, I suppose. Just got one today. shad (1).jpg Delaware.jpg

The second pic helps explain why I keep trying here. Saw lots of tracks, all made by deer.;) Only saw one other fisherman and his little boy. Came down river in their boat, and gave me a lot of room.:)

2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Nice fish! my dad was a shad fisherman below the coniwingo dam from shore. I also but by boat ,my kids growed up catching shad trolling the lower susky.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Beautiful spot. No shad in my area, to many dams on the Susky. I've been flogging the water at a local lake and catching a lot of nothing.
    Watched these two for a while a couple evening ago, white butt on the left is a mallard.

P1030151 (2).JPG

Stalker, xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  4. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Looks like a good time Jeff, and you didn't spend a grand doing it, then lose a few hundred afterwards. :eek::D

jacol84 likes this.
  5. Stalker

Stalker Member

I just got back from a visit to my dads. Fishing wasn't as good as usual but did manage 1, 10-12lb 30"Channel cat and a bunch of smaller ones off the dock at night.

Beautiful double rainbow the evening I arrived. 20180426_183300.jpg 20180426_183343.jpg 20180426_211945.jpg

6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Just Beautiful :)

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  7. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That's what I want to say as well!

Oppie and Stalker like this.
  8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

5:11 shad (1).jpg

Got a bigger one today as quite a surprise. I tried 3 new spots, hoping for magic, but nothing. I was stubborn enough to walk all the way in to the spot I usually go to. Well after I thought it was much too sunny to catch a fish, boom! Really strong fish and nice fight. Two guys in a boat on the far seem of the main current had 4 rods out, and caught nothing while I was there. The combo of persistence and luck was rewarded. That dart barely has any paint on it anymore.;)

Stalker, bbahunter and xcaliber like this.
  9. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Jeff, iam not much of a fisherman anymore. I used to fish for brook trout when i was a kid and really enjoyed it. ;)
    I have heard of shad, but don't know much about them. Do you eat them, and if so, are they good a eating fish?

xcaliber likes this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Brian, my dad used to catch tons of them. He really liked the roe/eggs (I never did). I never keep them, as I don't care for them that much. The flesh is much like Bluefish, lots of the fishy tasting, oily meat through the better white meat. With trout and salmon, you can usually trim that stuff out. I just like the fight. They are stong and pull hard. For me, hooking a fish I'm not sure if I can land is kinda like being around deer in hunting season, but not quite the same excitement level. Also a break from the farming work in planting season.;)

bbahunter likes this.