Anyone cold

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I reloaded 6 45-70 shells in the last few days an shot nothing in this cold,wind :confused: yesterday son was duck ,goose hunting using decoys along a little open spot of water along a frozen creek . his buddy,s ,him hammered the ducks,geese . 2 day late rifle in MD starting today an there going deer hunting . in my younger days I would be right out there with them . seems like everything I do is less important as I get older :confused: mabye the wife has been right all these years as she always said you need to get your pieraritys in order:confused::p

xcaliber, Stalker and 8ptbuk like this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Yep, I think it's pretty cold too, though I don't have the clothing/gear it takes to be comfortable in the really cold weather. I remember asking an old, now departed friend and mentor if he had gone fishing when there had been a thunderstorm. Always remember he said "No, I like fishing, but I'm not mad at the fish.";) I feel much the same way about deer these days. Next week is supposed to be closer to normal winter, at least that's what the weather gurus say.:rolleyes:

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lol! just like old times as a kid an may not see open water till spring . this wind is killing me as I can shoot in the cold but hate this wind. got my vortex ready with the strait 4x Nikon as I like fixed power scopes better than variables . going to test my new 20 inch factory zombies vs my carbon express 32 inch vertical arrows that are spined for my 45lb recurve bow . the 32 inch arrows shoot bullet holes with bare shafts at 6 feet With the 45lb bow when paper tuning. way to weak of spine at 32 inches for a 200lb. ,15-1/2 inch stroke crossbow :confused: but they don;t know that an are deadly accurate from even my high power bows.

only thing I found is they don.t shoot as good at 20 yards as bare shafts or get the same poi with broadheads as fieldpoints. the zombies are 430g at 20inches with 100g tips ,blazers,factory brass inserts ,aluminum flat nocks vs the heritage vertical arrows are 480g at 32 inches with 100g tips,2 inch razor feathers,aluminum inserts in both ends. I also have some 20 inch heritage vertical arrows with the same components that are 380g that shoot great. I think I compared other zombies before an the heritage shot better ,then the next time the zombies did as good .with my brain I better start writing things down as I can,t
    remember what I done yesterday :confused: at least it keeps e occupied :p

jacol84 likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That's a Classic :D, I have to agree with you, I'm done with hunting for the season. It's just brutal here on the hill just like the rest of the country.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The crows aren't even flying today, they were out having lots of fun wheeling an swooping about yesterday but are hiding today, like me an my little dog too :).

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I was just out put some air in the wife's tire, sorted out some arrows an was going to run some new brass cases in the neck die a bit but got as far as screwing the die in :confused: took it back out turned my little heater off an ran back inside to the coal stove :pnot good for man or beast out there!

xcaliber, Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

He had quite a few one-liners like that. "No good deed goes unpunished." No use being stupid if you don't show it.":D

xcaliber, Oppie and 8ptbuk like this.
  8. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

So COLD here in VA. I seen a rabbit froze to the ground............

xcaliber likes this.
  9. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

It's been so cold here I haven't seen the twins for weeks. :eek:

I was always a cold weather guy but something in me changed this year, I'm just not enjoying it at all and just want it to be over. Usually I am prepping for ice fishing as soon as deer season is over, this year I am already jumping ahead to spring turkey.

10. Stalker

Stalker Member

As I lay awake in bed at 4am this morning, the thought of going hunting crossed my mind.Then the thought of 15 degrees with a a 10mph wind.Hmmmm? The older wiser me won out and I went back to sleep!

I just got back from checking my cam. The older wiser me was right! Not a deer in sight this morning!:D

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I used to be a cold weather guy, not any more.

xcaliber likes this.
  12. Stalker

Stalker Member

X2 growing up in Colorado it never bothered me. After moving south it really hits you plus the high humidity factor!

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I put a cam for two days for red fox cold killed the batteries so fast it wasn't worth the time it took to set it up. Maybe next week....

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I've gotten rid of a lot of my really cold weather clothes over the years and just try to avoid it now.

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  15. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

It's so cold my thoughts get stuck!:eek::p My B.I.L is down in Florida, yesterday it snowed a bit, and was 32 F where he was. I had to text him & ask if he went ice fishing.:D:rolleyes:

Stalker, Oppie and 8ptbuk like this.
  16. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

The brother of the family that lets me hunt up at the mountain has a sawmill and wood business. He said he spent the last two days trying to avert disaster with his boiler and frozen water lines. Hoping he doesn't lose too much money. We needed a space heater at our church property in additon to heat tapes.:rolleyes: Supposed to be normal next week. Sure hope so. Probably as "warm" here as anywhere in PA, but it was 2 deg this morning, and the winds were about 20 gusting to 35-40 mph. Almost like the midwest under normal circumstances.;)

Oppie likes this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

be a good time to let the mother inlaw go on a walk about :D

jacol84, 8ptbuk, Oppie and 1 other person like this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :p:p:p:p

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Almost over. Truly hard to believe they are forecasting rain by the end of the week. :confused:

20. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I hope so ,going to send something down range today be it arrows or lead.
    I just went out removed a old target an burned some paper an came back in too make up a new target. was still out this morning but now the winds already picking up an it,s cold out ! I will get a new target up but won,t be shooting guns in this with cold fingers. can,t wait to try this 460 out an so far cleaned it,looking at it,practicing my death grip hold around the grips like I hold a handgun when I shoot them :p

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    xcaliber likes this.